Beer voucher for spring compressor loan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
Hi,

Request for help.

Anyone in the Midlands with a spring compressor they're prepared to lend me in exchange for some beer vouchers?

I'm changing the lower control arms on a "94" SL320 R129

Thanking you all in advance.

Not sure those will work, the 129 spring is narrow and buried inboard on the lower arm so there's very little space for them. Ideally you want the Klann unit that fits inside the spring.

I have a set, I am based down in Portsmouth though - and they are the halfords ones the same as the link above

I have used them on numerous cars when swapping top mounts on coilovers and struts

I have used them on numerous cars when swapping top mounts on coilovers and struts

Probably none of which were like the 129.

This should give some idea the space you (don't) have.
97-SL74-29.JPG

same setup as on the rear of Saab 9-3 and bmw e30, seperate springs and struts,

why do you need a spring compressor for that spring?

undo the bottom bolt on the strut and let the arm swing down and just pull the spring out with your hands as it will be floppy and loose

same way I did it with my saab

Do not even attempt that job without the correct internal spring compressor. There isn't the room for the external type like the halfords ones, and you cant compress it using a jack under the lower arm as the car isn't heavy enough.

I've got a set of the one's in the Amazon link above, make's life very easy.

same setup as on the rear of Saab 9-3 and bmw e30, seperate springs and struts,

why do you need a spring compressor for that spring?

undo the bottom bolt on the strut and let the arm swing down and just pull the spring out with your hands as it will be floppy and loose

same way I did it with my saab

It works on the back but not the front.
Klann type is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom