Before I blow the place up! Wiring advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
The two old fluorescent tubes on my garage have finally died. Can't buy the tubes any more, so I've bought a couple of modern twin units which I hope won't use that much more power.

I've never been that confident with electrickery so I need an answer to the (I hope) straightforward question below, please.

Am I correct in thinking :

2no Black to 2no Blue.

2no Red to Brown/White

Earth in the middle?

GarageLightsWiring008.jpg

TIA.

Paul.

Now delete this thread as you aren't Part-P registered...Garages are classed as "outside". :rolleyes:

Aren't you allowed to change an existing fitting for a new one ?

I thought the regulations stopped you adding to the existing installation ...

And the daftest thing is - well, take this for example:

I installed some downlights in my dining room. :thumb:

I then installed some of the same downlights in my kitchen. :ban:

Then I installed some more in my en suite bathroom. Also :ban:

:dk:

I thought the regulations stopped you adding to the existing installation ...

It depends ...

Not outside.

The Naughty step is over there...>>>

Now delete this thread as you aren't Part-P registered...Garages are classed as "outside". :rolleyes:

What if the garage is integral with the house...not detached? I've done much wiring in the garage...not allowed? But it is allowed in the bedroom above?

What if the garage is integral with the house...not detached? I've done much wiring in the garage...not allowed? But it is allowed in the bedroom above?

I think it's still classed as outside.

It's all a load of rubbish. Incompetent people shouldn't do electrics, but seeing as hardly anyone does DIY now anyway, it's a red herring.

All this came about because a Woman, Labour MP's daughter hammered a nail into a cable in her newly "professionally installed" kitchen.

Sure, the installation was poor, having diagonally running cables, but she would have been well advised to use a cable checker before commencing the job.

What makes it even more of a mockery is that you could be Part-P registered with no qualifications or experience, just pay your dues and you were in...

Last edited:
Yes you are right,but to earth that unit you will have to run a link from centre terminal on the chock bar to the case of the fitting. around fixing screw will be fine.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....zz.z..zzzzzzzzzz.....zzz..z..z.zzzzzzzzzz.

I think it's worked out okay. :thumb:

zzzzz......z......zz............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..z.

eyes-in-the-dark.gif

Yes you are right,but to earth that unit you will have to run a link from centre terminal on the chock bar to the case of the fitting. around fixing screw will be fine.

Thanks.

I haven't turned antything on yet and I'm just going to look at the other unit.

I'll ask my neighbour to double-check everything before I switch on.

As long as the earth is connected properly, you cannot get a shock from the fitting.

Fuses protect appliances, Earths protect people.

Another of our posh stainless steel kettles died last night. It made a huge bang, tripped the breaker and left a scorch mark on the worktop.
The cheapo plastic kettle that I brought in from the garage is so much quieter, I think we might keep it...

The clue is in the photo...the wires already attached to the old unit...just copy them.

I can smell burning in here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom