Before I make a monumental mess of this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrLCA

Car
2011 C250 CDI
Evening all.

Quick audio question please. The wife's got a little Toyota Aygo and would like better sound in it.

So...

I've got a new stereo which outputs 4x55 watts and a set of component speakers to mount in the front. Mids for the doors and tweeters for the A pillars.

Not bothering with rear speakers as the car is so small and it's normally only her driving.

The component speakers come with passive crossovers.

My question is, as I won't be using the 2 rear channels at all could I wire up the front 2 channels to the tweeters (through the crossover to filter out the low frequencies) and wire up the mids to the rear channels inorder to make the most of the 55wats per channel?

So,
Front right - right tweeter
Front left - left tweeter
Rear right - right mid
Rear left - left mid

Opposed to,
Front right - right tweeter and mid through crossover
Front left - left tweeter and mid through crossover
Rear right - not used
Rear left - not used

I hope I've explained that well enough.

Cheers.

But the crossover will filter low frequency to the bigger speakers and higher to the smaller, what your doing wont do that

But the crossover will filter low frequency to the bigger speakers and higher to the smaller, what your doing wont do that
The crossover might not matter since the tweeter will not be able to respond (much anyway) to the lower frequencies, while the mids might not be able to respond to high frequencies. So it might be possible to wire the mids directly bypassing the crossover circuitry.

Just need to ensure the impedances on the speakers matches the rating for the amp if bypassing the crossover.

I would say it is pretty pointless - wire it the way it is supposed to be because as you have said it is a small car. It will also avoid the issue of trying to balance the tweeters and mids properly using the F/R fader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom