Being drunk and sleeping in a motorhome?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not all police are bad this way .

A friend had his window tapped when he was spotted sleeping in a car park . The cop , realising he was sleeping in the car rather than drive home after a couple of pints , told my friend he could have done him but smiled and advised him to stick the keys up the exhaust pipe next time .

The point may be that he was in a private Car Park rather than on a road?

If there was no implied access for the public over night, then the offence may not have been made out (not 100% on Scottish law).

:rolleyes:

If a man is sleeping on the back seat of his car where is the offence? Now I don't mean the offence as written down, but the actual offence of drunk driving which we would all abhor?

The point may be that he was in a private Car Park rather than on a road?

If there was no implied access for the public over night, then the offence may not have been made out (not 100% on Scottish law).

:rolleyes:

I don't know the exact circumstances as I wasn't there - it also took place around 30 years ago , but the impression I was given was that the cop decided to use some discretion and give a 'friendly warning' .

My mate had no intention of driving under the influence and was left with a good impression of the policing : vigilant but fair .

My mate had no intention of driving under the influence and was left with a good impression of the policing : vigilant but fair .

And my guess would be that is what happens 98% of the time, but then other times, there is something that agrivates the circumstances such that the Cop is inclined to investigate further - which may well be by arresting the person in charge of the vehicle.

I guess the real emotive point of this offence is that it is one of very few where the onus is on the driver to prove that they would not drive rather than the prosecution to show that they would.

Not many prosecutions suggests that Cops would rather be "watertight" and let the driver drop themselves in it by driving whilst over the limit?

It was begining to look a little heated there for a moment....:dk: :D

With a little worry about stirring up a hornets nest..... wouldn't it be easier just not to drink????

One thing comes to mind about most posts here, IMO sleeping in a car is very different to sleeping in a Motorhome. Having slept in most of my cars when I couldn't be bothered to build my tent (apart from the W140 :eek:), I can confirm how uncomfortable it normally is, also in a car the chances are you're going to drive off when you wake up, a camper on the other hand you've got a proper bed so likely a proper sleep, cooking facilities and somewhere to regain your senses.

Interesting one. Drunk in charge of a vehicle actually errs on the side of guilty until proved innocent. The theory is that whilst you may be asleep, when you wake up, you will probably drive off whilst still being over the limit. You could argue the case if you are in a comfortable campervan bed that you'd just turn over and go back to sleep, but I wouldn't like to trust my luck. Been there, done that!

Co-incidentally, I stayed at a friend's flat whilst away last week on business. After we got back from a party, I realised I'd left my overnight bag in the car, parked outside. I went out (at 4.30am) and locked myself out. In my drunken state, I mistakenly phoned my mrs to let me in (300 miles away, and I'm still in trouble), but don't like to think what I'd have done if I couldn't have got back in.

Last edited:
How about this one:

Before you retire for the night in the back of your car, text your missus and ask if they would pick you up in the morning as you are too drunk to drive.

If you are then subsequently woken by the police then surely the text message would save your ass as it would prove that there was no intent to drive?

Thoughts?

Co-incidentally, I stayed at a friend's flat whilst away last week on business. After we got back from a party, I realised I'd left my overnight bag in the car, parked outside. I went out (at 4.30am) and locked myself out. In my drunken state, I mistakenly phoned my mrs to let me in (300 miles away, and I'm still in trouble), but don't like to think what I'd have done if I couldn't have got back in.

:D:D:D That's genius!

Interesting thread.

I shall be attending an AGM in June which is followed by a rip snorting piss up and it is my intention to sleep in the back of my Pajero, duvet and sleeping back set out ready. I will be parked in a field that is a designated camping area and after reading the above posts I'm thinking that a magnetic key holder stuck on the subframe with the ignition key in it is going to be my way of preventing a miscarriage of justice.

It's happened to me. Quite a few years ago had a few beers, decided not to drive walked to my car which was in a car park opposite the pub. Got in the passenger seat and fell asleep. Woken up by police officer at about 03:30 to see if I was ok, fair enough I might have been ill. Smells the alcohol and decide to breathalyse me. I pass, much to officers very obvious disappointment.

I know a few coppers socially and they seem to be decent sensible people.

It only takes a few with a poor attitude, and I've met a couple, to sour the relationship between the police and normal law abiding citizens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom