Being Mercedesless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
You know that feeling seeing some other person driving away your bellowed car knowing that you probably won’t see it, sit in it, give it a good clean or just have a smile because of IT again, ever. IT’s not the first and won’t be the last, IT’s not a family member IT’s just a car.
Those people driving it away seamed to be nice, decent folks, but will they keep looking after it just as I did?
Why do I get so attached to a ton of metal with three point star on wheels?
Why do I feel sick when this is an opportunity for looking for something else?

Maybe, because it was IT.

One of the main reasons i keep my cars so long. I look after them so well and are always in good order that I think a new one won't be as reliable/give me problems etc. Always a shame to let my current car go !
The way I look after my cars and keep them in good condition and well maintained they would probably go on forever, feels like I look after them too well which deprives me of getting a newer model !

It is a sad day when a cherished car leaves, let my M3 go a few months back was kept in almost showroom condition. Never seen it from the back driving, looked good......it has since changed hands again. Nice though owners keep in touch and let you know how its doing, that's the benefit of good forums.

Why do I get so attached to a ton of metal...

For the same reason you're even on this forum, you're a petrol head! :thumb:

That's the difference between a car simply being a way to move around and a car being something that you bond with.

In the last couple of years I've owned a couple of older/higher mileage cars which I've used to pick up my daughter (260 mile round trip). So every other weekend I spend 5 hours in the car. The first was a Saab 9-3 and the second my E320 CDI, so while I sit there at 5.30am on a Saturday I bond with the car. I'm in a comfy, warm seat, cruising along and I found I was very attached to the Saab and now the E Class. These are cheap old cars I buy for a purpose and still grow attached to, let alone other cars I've got that I've owned longer.

All I can say is, look forward to the hunt for a new car to grow attached to.

Well it didn't last long, only 4 months and 11 days and again Mercedes got back to my life. This time it's 2010 W212 E250 CDI in a very nice colour combination, dark grey with brown leather interior. I feel gooooood.

I used to fall in love with cars like that, and be gutted seeing them be driven away, but I've found so long as what you're replacing it with is a good upgrade then it quickly fades away as the glee of my new car sets in.

One of the main reasons i keep my cars so long. I look after them so well and are always in good order that I think a new one won't be as reliable/give me problems etc. Always a shame to let my current car go !
The way I look after my cars and keep them in good condition and well maintained they would probably go on forever, feels like I look after them too well which deprives me of getting a newer model !

My recent cars:

1997 Omega 1998-2001 (3 years)
2001 Omega 2001-2008 (7 years)
2006 W203 2008-2017 (9 years)
2013 W204 2017-?

That's pretty much how I felt about my 190e and it took 21 years before I moved on !

Well it didn't last long, only 4 months and 11 days and again Mercedes got back to my life. This time it's 2010 W212 E250 CDI in a very nice colour combination, dark grey with brown leather interior. I feel gooooood.
That one is gone now after exactly
1529 days or 4 years, 2 months, 7 days or 50 months and 7 days or 132,105,600 seconds or 2,201,760 minutes or 36,696 hours and is already missed.
Will have to wait and see how long it will take me to bring MB in some shape or form back on the driveway. Maybe something a bit old-ish like W201 or W115 for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom