Beirut mystery explosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...Parker Hale sniper rifles...

I have one of those... the 1200TX... it's the civilian version of the Parker-Hale Cadet rifle (M82). Quite effective at 600y with optical sights, could easily do 1,200y with a scope.

A french banger in the fuselage of an airfix kit...thrown out the bedroom window...

Having read this thread, I feel odd for just playing football with my mates when I was younger and not trying to blow up South Yorkshire!

Lee, school days were some of my best because of CCF. We had such a laugh doing things that simply would not be allowed these days.

The highlight was going to West Berlin on a train and stopping with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers at Montgomery barracks.

Then I grew up and sold ammo around the world, what a scream. These days I cannot be bothered to go 3 miles to the next village. Funny how things change.

All makes my mate’s bogey ball seem quite tame.
For clarity, a (nearly) golf sized ball made from his bogeys.

So you went to Nesscliffe too!
Yes - that’s the one!
Could not remember the name earlier!
We also had a camp one year near Folkstone, and another on Dartmoor, another near Brecon and one on the south coast which included a trip to Fording Trials Branch and a trip in a military DKW.

We could run a country with experts we have on here.

It can't be that difficult a job, you only have to look at the numpties both sides of the Commons who are doing the job or shadowing the persons doing the job!

When the investigations are finished, heads are gonna roll.
Government employees will be sentenced to prison for manslaughter.

Lebanese government is filthy corrupted.
People who has the power they are only interested in stuffing their own pockets with dollar stacks.
Survival of the fittest, only the strong the rich people are the winners in a corrupt country.
Lebanon turned into a banana republic because of the long time civil war and the recent corruption.

This video is an eye opener (not in a gory way i may add).

I assume the lady at the start was having her wedding photos taken. Thoughts go out to the people of Lebanon.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When the investigations are finished, heads are gonna roll.
Government employees will be sentenced to prison for manslaughter.

Lebanese government is filthy corrupted.
People who has the power they are only interested in stuffing their own pockets with dollar stacks.
Survival of the fittest, only the strong the rich people are the winners in a corrupt country.
Lebanon turned into a banana republic because of the long time civil war and the recent corruption.
To be fair....

The Lebanese had a long history of civil war between the three main religious groups (Christians, Muslims, and Druze).

Southern Lebanon was invaded by the PLO after they were expelled from Jordan by King Hussein following the 'Black September' events of 1970, which gave rise to ongoing skirmishes with the IDF along the border with Israel.

The Israelis invaded Southern Lebanon in 1979 in retaliation, and then in 1982 invaded and occupied most of Lebanon including Beirut, retreating slowly over a period of nearly 20 years.

In the meantime, a car bomb killed Lebanon's democratically elected president, Bashir Gemayel, an attack that was retaliated by a savage massacre that saw over a thousand people killed in the refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila.

In the eighties, Hizbullah used Lebanon as a platform for attacks on foreign peacekeeping troops, killing hundreds of Americans and French nationals, and kidnapping many others for ransom (the most famous of which is the American Reverend Terry Waite, whose release from captivity was linked to the notorious Iran-Contras deal).

And then you have Syria, who always considered Lebanon as a Syrian province rather than an independent state, and who sent 'piecekeeping' Syrian troops to police the armistice at the end of the civil war, but in effect occupying most of Eastern Lebanon for 30 years.

Incidentally... the inquiry into the assassination of Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in 2005 is due to publish its report in the coming days. Hariri demanded the end of the Syrian occupation, and was rumored to have been killed (together with 21 other people) by the Syrian security services. His assassination sparkled massive protests that ended the Syrian occupation of Lebanon.

In recent years Hizbullah used Lebanon as a launching pad for attacks on Israel, which brought much destruction to the country when Israel retaliated with brute force killing and injuring many civilians.

That's in a nutshell... it's a war-torn country whose citizens just want to be able to piece their lives together, and deserve all the support they can get.

@ markjay

Yeah, they are all F*cked up from problems with safety, life, health and economics and now the fertilizer boom!
The damage after looks like a post apocalyptic scene from a dystopic flick where the city is in ruins.
It's depressing for sure.
The Lebanese people didn't need this problem, it came in a very bad time.
It should have never happened and it can happen anywhere in the world.

(the most famous of which is the American Reverend Terry Waite, whose release from captivity was linked to the notorious Iran-Contras deal).

Famous enough for most people to know he's British! He's also not a Reverend, but was an envoy for the Church of England who was in Beirut trying to negotiate the release of other hostages.

Famous enough for most people to know he's British!...

I stand corrected.

A SYNOPSIS

THE FATE OF THE RHOSUS
beirut-ship-e-pic-superJumbo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom