bell housing pattern

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woolie

Car
ml270
Could anyone tell me if the merc. bell housing pattern has changed much over the last 20 years. Just wondering what engine swops are possible.

Inline engines are all the same, v engines differ. Engine swap's are quite common.

OK. so i now i am thinking of fitting a 300d om 617 into a ml270...may sound strange but its a mint engine with low miles. AND I AM ****** OFF WITH ELECTRICAL / INJECTOR / MANAGEMENT FAULTS / ETC. could anyone suggest any big reason why it wont work please

OK. so i now i am thinking of fitting a 300d om 617 into a ml270...may sound strange but its a mint engine with low miles. AND I AM ****** OFF WITH ELECTRICAL / INJECTOR / MANAGEMENT FAULTS / ETC. could anyone suggest any big reason why it wont work please

Sorry but that wont realistically work, the engine will run fine in the ml but the ml electrical systems will throw a fit.

My advice to you is to buy a w210 e300td, best of both worlds then.

already got the ML270 (because i need a 4x4) with duff engine and an old 300d that i just couldnt scrap. just thought the pair of them would save me from buying something to replace the ML

As Carat said...

The ML gearbox has electronics in it that need to 'talk' to an engine ECU via canbus. Not something that an old 300D engine has in abundance. An then there's your dashboard...:eek:

OK.I give in...but wait ! will the transfer box go on the back of the 300d box ? sorry, i dont give in easy... ( also dash lights can be sorted and i dont mind swopping torq for speed ) and finding a G is almost impossible

Last edited:
OK.I give in...but wait ! will the transfer box go on the back of the 300d box ? sorry, i dont give in easy... ( also dash lights can be sorted and i dont mind swopping torq for speed ) and finding a G is almost impossible

They will bolt together, but the autobox is controlled via the ecu. It wont work without the engine signals. Unless you happen to have a manual ML...

You'll save yourself money fixing or replacing the 270 engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom