Belt buckle stoppers... can someone help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
The seat belts have small knob-size 'stoppers' half way through the side bit, that prevents the buckle from sliding all the way down when the seat belt is not in use. This is so on most cars (i.e. not just on my W203), and it is quite useful because otherwsie the buckle slides down and can get caught between the seal and door preventing the door from closing properly.

I seem to have lost 3 out of 5 on my car - they just got separated and fell off. So I bought some new ones from MB (they are called 'fastners' on EPC), P/N A1298603169. They come as two black plastic parts, one small round bit (about 5p coin size) with a hole in the middle, and another same-size round bit with a sharp protruding plastic 'needle'.

I thought that the two bits will simply 'click' together when placed on either side of the belt, i.e. the plastic 'needle' pushed through the belt, and then the bit with the hole clips on the other side.

But it seems that some special tool is actually needed for that - because the needle is much thiner than the hole on the other bit, in fact it is so loose in the hole that the thing just falls off.

Looking at the two surviving 'stoppers' they seem to have a 'smudged' rounded head on the edge of the 'needle' - suggesting to me that the palstic 'needle' has being flatteneded and rounded-off by some special tool.

Small thing, I know, but still annoying - any ideas will be welcome....

Thanks!

Last edited:
Melting the small pin to spread it out with a soldering iron?

Thanks, was thinking of something similar, but the original ones are nicely and smoothly rounded, while attempting to do this with soldering iron will make it look like a mess... :(

This is what it looks like.....

Last edited:
I bought them from an MB dealer in Oxford - but online, not in the parts shop.

At any rate I prefer to buy the tool (if I can identify it) then go to MB - it is likely to cost the same anyway :), and also I had very bad experience with my local delaer last time.

Here's what the original one looks like when fitted (presumably with the special tool):

Last edited:
I dont think there is a tool for this. I use a head of a nail heated with a blow torch.

Thanks for the advice. Got it sorted with the use of a barbecue lighter, nail, and oven gloves. Takes some practice, but does the trick. A drop of epoxy resin on each 'head' sealed the operation.

Cost me about £1.20 for one the other week. The fitted it for me but if you can't get to a MB dealer, use either a soldering iron or heat a thin, flat piece of metal with a cigarette lighter and melt the pin into position.

My only tip would be to ensure that you have the flat,domed side facing away from you as to do otherwise would be most unsightly ;).

The Smart car ones are the same but much cheaper BTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom