Belt Change on E300TD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bill_mill_65

Car
1999 E-Class T Avantgarde, ST Fiesta
I'm going to change the drive belt on the E Class (OM606 engine), because I know it will wait until February when it's dark, and the rain is horizontal before it decides to part.....What I'd like to know is if the bolt that I'll have the scafolding pole attached to is a regular or left handed. Can someone learned inform me please?

Thanks in anticipation!

Hi

What are you trying to do???

If you are changing the drive belt (fan belt) you just slacken the 13mm nut on the head of the bolt that holds the spring tensioner, take up the tension with a socket set extension bar, withdraw the bolt and release the tension on the spring tensioner and hey presto the belt is slack enough to remove.

Hope this helps

OK thanks for the reply. I'm just changing the belt, but thought I had to take off the fan to be able to access everything sufficiently. So that's not the case then?
My question was asking, if the bolt that holds the viscous coupling to the water pump is conventional or does it have a left handed thread?

Hi

The Allen headed single bolt that holds on the viscous fan is conventionally threaded. Anti clockwise to remove the bolt.

You do not need to remove the fan to change the belt.

OK thanks for the info !

i'd 2nd everything 230K says here.

also take a photo or draw a diagram of the layout of the belt and pullys before you remove so you know how to refit the new one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom