Belt noisey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
My 1995 E300D saloon has had a noisey belt since we got it. it makes a tappy noise all time time which is not noticable on my estate 124.

it seems to be coming from around the pully attached to the power steering resesvior.

any tips or hints on what can be done? is this belt relatively easy to work on/replace/tighten etc?

It's probably the tensioner pulley bearing. You could remove it and soak it in oil to flush it out, failing that replace it.
The tension is automatically adjusted by the spring.

It just fits in a tuna tin nicely..:D Note how black the oil becomes and the bits in it.

Last edited:
It's probably the tensioner pulley bearing. You could remove it and soak it in oil to flush it out, failing that replace it.
The tension is automatically adjusted by the spring.

It just fits in a tuna tin nicely..:D Note how black the oil becomes and the bits in it.

i did a search and found this thead:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48290

i thought this could be it aswell...?

my specific car here:

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.433&CT=M&cat=19T&SID=20&SGR=045&SGN=03

Last edited:
how easy is the bearing to remove? do i have to remove the belt 1st or is it something i can take off witht he belt in situ?

These are a common failure - they wear and then get noisy. Before I replaced mine I thought it was the top end of the engine getting "old" and tired! That was at about 150k on a e300d. Replace the tensioner and shock absorber - and hey presto - back to quiet and smooth tick over - just like new (almost). I was really chuffed - well worth replacing rather than trying to clean out.

These are a common failure - they wear and then get noisy. Before I replaced mine I thought it was the top end of the engine getting "old" and tired! That was at about 150k on a e300d. Replace the tensioner and shock absorber - and hey presto - back to quiet and smooth tick over - just like new (almost). I was really chuffed - well worth replacing rather than trying to clean out.

cool. Is it an easy job?

at least i know that the engine isnt about to blow then!

ok - another job on the list for the saloon!

so far:

- full service
- glow plug change
- spray and fit new front wings
- fix fuel leaks & probably delivery valve seals!
- respray boot lid back and spoiler
- adjust handbrake
- fit wood/leather steering wheel
- belt job

plenty to do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom