Belt Tensioner Problem Still there after renewing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnnyW202

Car
2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
Hi guys

1998 C200 Classic Auto.

‪VIDEO0001.3gp‬‏ - YouTube Check this out for a clearer explaination.

Here's the problem I'm having.

The Tensioner and pulley have been replaced, the older tensioner replaced with the newer one along with the damper, which isn't usually fitted to the 4 pots.

So Tensioner, Belt, Damper and Pulley the goes on the tensioner all brand new. Febi parts and the belt is Motaquip.

Yet under load, the tensioner is still struggling to keep the brand new belt tight, it wobbles back and forth and makes a terrible noise at idle particularly when the A/C is on or Drive is selected, it settles down in neutral or with the A/C turned off, the belt noticably slips in Drive when the power steering is moved and you can feel the power steering pump almost miss as the wheel is turned.

you need to put your VIN up so that we can work out what parts make up the complete tensioner on your car and the proper length of the belt required.

+1 I think you may have a short or long belt

I have the same problem with my 220 CDI. New correct belt and tensioner fitted and it flaps about quite a bit. Will be intrested to find out when you solve this. Spent a fortune on this car so far hoping for some reliability now. Only good thing is getting over 50mpg

+2 I think your belt is too long.

Check you do not have a clutch/free wheel on your alternator pulley , if you have and it is siezed it will cause these symptoms. I struggled with this even mercedes said it was normal !. Europarts supplied a pulley and fantastic improvement. It was snatching and banging. I had replaced everything else.

+1 with the alternator pulley. I had the same problem cured mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom