Bending Number plates W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big1Jim

SUPPORTER
Car
W212 E63 BiTurbo
Any tips on pre-shaping a new number plate before I fit it to the front of the car.

I fitted an old one and it snapped due to the bend in the fitting plate.

Cheers in advance

acrylic plate - gentle application of heatshrink gun - keep it moving
Aluminium plate - just bend it!

As others gently heat. If screwing on I found it useful to screw one side in to place and heat from just before the bend at that side moving gun back and forth around the bend while keeping pressure on the plate to let it fold more naturally until it goes into position for the other screw and even when fitted heat slightly for a few minutes just to bed it in. Ps if gel plates you need to be more careful where you apply the heat and go gently.

Halfords do nice metal ones.

Only go in to Halfrauds if i am stuck ,, and i mean stuck . Cant tell you how many times i have gone in there with cash burning a hole in my pocket, only to come came out without buying anything . Far to expensive for my likes ..

If no heat source - place 2 small blocks of wood (height depends on degree of bend sought) just less than the width of the number plate apart.
Place cloth over blocks. Retaining any manufacturers protective coverings place number plate face down & in the middle place a weight sufficient to create a curve. Leave overnight ideally somewhere warm i.e. not in cold garage/workshop! Has worked for me for more years than I care to remember.

Thanks for the advice.

I used the heat method and a few extra strips of tape in strategic places. So far so good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom