Benz jargon: Whats 'major assembly'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebody

Car
500SEC
I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it in tech, since it is kinda a tech question, sort of.

So, I bought that really cool manual that costs like 9.99 and looks like somebody stole it straight from MB's own office, and its excellent, but there is something I can't figure out.

For some reason, when I enter my car's serial number it says it's card can't be found or something, so I have to enter it's details manually. The type and engine type are pretty self-explanatory (first few of the serial number and first few of the motor's number) but...

I got as far as the last drop-down box, which is called 'major assembly'.

See this screen-shot, highlighted in red:

major_assembly.jpg

Anybody happen to know how I can tell what 'major assembly' I need to choose?

And what does 'major assembly' mean anyways in this context?

Thanks!

Oh, I see. Thanks! Is there any way to guess which one, or do I need to actually go look under the car and find the transmission number?

I assume LG is something weird (like, semi-auto or something? since I think the s-class didn't come with sticks like ever?) so mine is one of the two AGs?

Last edited:
Oh, I see. Thanks! Is there any way to guess which one, or do I need to actually go look under the car and find the transmission number?

I assume LG is something weird (like, semi-auto or something? since I think the s-class didn't come with sticks like ever?) so mine is one of the two AGs?

My guess is that that menu is a generic W126 one that covers all w126 models including the saloons. The first W126 6 cylinder models had the old twin cam engine and gearbox carried over from the W116 model. This would mean they might have a non MB manual [getrag] or automatic box. Hence the odd code gearbox. Your car will have one of the 2 AG 4speed autoboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom