BES Express or MS Direct Push ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
As we host our own Exchange server, and BES Express server, we have a choice.

We've been using Blackberry for about 2 years now, one year each on O2 and Vodafone. Both charge about £24.00 per handset per month for BES (as opposed to the more common BIS) access.

But I could use MS direct Push - over the internet, which most mobile carriers are offering £10.00ish for unlimited use.....

Any using Direct Push ? With what devices ? Is it better, or as good as the RIM solution ?

I also like the look of this: http://www.airtimemanager.co.uk/activesync/HTC_Touch.aspx

Which will be cheaper than the Blackberry Bold, when it becomes available.....

I implemented MS Push Email (Windows Mobile) in my last organisation. Used a mix of Palm Treo 750's and Vodafone 1615 (IIRC).

Can't comment on how it compares to Blackberry but I favoured it as it was easy to deploy and manage (we had most of the infrasrtructure in place anyway as we had deployed Outlook Web Access through front end servers). Our end users were quite indifferent, many of them referred to the devices as Blackberries or Blueberries!

Main thing was that it worked and with WM6 the device managment (remote device wipe) was a key benefit.

Hope this helps...

I was thinking about this.
As I'm MCSE+S:M I would probably go with Push. Don't forget that you will have to have heart-beat with Push.
I've done it at home and it works GREAT!

At work we are using Vodafone email - my company seems to be not concerned about money atmo... :(
I would do Push with proper ISA setup to publish Exchange and that would be fairly safe and cheap :)

Cheers
Chris

Push from exchange seems to work fine here, but then so does BES. BES is so expensive though considering you already have exchange...

I would do Push with proper ISA setup to publish Exchange and that would be fairly safe and cheap :)

Cheers
Chris

That's how we set ours up, other main reason for MS Push email is the supportability / managment. It's pretty much fully integrated, the only add-on (albeit free) is the device managment aspect.

Two questions really.

Do you need email while roaming? If so is this roaming data included in the tariff or is it chargeable on an HTC at a billion pounds per MB?

Do you require access to your Intranet and/or other MDS functions from handhelds?

My suggestion is to get a free loaner off one of the providers and play with it for a while. I have a strong hunch that you'll find that for email and calendaring the Blackberry is much easier and more intuitive to use.

A Windows Mobile device on the other hand is much more flexible and has more bells and whistles but because of its many features, everything is ever so slightly compromised and less well thought out. Watered down if you like.

I have 4 devices all able to sync my Exchange email.

Blackberry 8310
Mobile 6
Nokia E51 (via Mail for Exchange)
Nokia N95 (Using Roadsync)

They are all good devices and each one has its merits. I can read mail on any of the devices no problem but when it comes to replying to emails, I reach for the Blackberry every time.

Best thing is to try before you buy - maybe your preference lies elsewhere. (they usually give two week loaners out to corporates)

Last edited:
Got my Bold today......Better than the 8310....nice feel and updated interface. Does what it says on the box..... Might have a Vodafone locked enterprise Bold going soon (new, unopened) if anyone is interested......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom