Bespoke/Stealth Subwoofer W204 install completed !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kap02

Car
W204 C250 cdi Sport AMG
Evening all,

Some of you may have seen a few threads from me regarding this subject!

Well I have finally installed my bespoke/oem style subwoofer into my 2010 W204 :devil:

The standard sound system is excellent but it lacks quality low bass, not being 21 anymore and now married :doh: I figured I needed something wife friendly which meant:

* No loss of boot space

* 8" or 10" subwoofer for warm/hifi sound which COULD be turned up for solo driving :rock:

The Box

I had seen a number of stealth side located boxes on the US forums as used on the W204. After some digging I found a guy in Sheffield who made subwoofer boxes. As he had never done a W204 before he was keen to provide the service, thus having a mould available for other buyers.

The location of the box sits to the left where the netting is holding the first aid kid, I have simply moved the first aid kid into the wheel well! As you can see by the pictures the finish and build of the box is excellent, it sounds fantastic and looks so cool ! It is an additional cost compared to traditional boxes but easily outweighs this with the obvious benefits. It is made from fiberglass so very strong and light.

Those that are interested in the box please visit/speak to Visual Ice:

http://www.facebook.com/visual.ice

visual.ice's profile

I only have good things to say about this guy, top quality work :thumb:

He will even post the box to you !

Subwoofer

Being a little on the **** side i like things to match ! The coolest looking black subwoofer i found happened to be the 10" JL audio w0v3. It looks great, its light and the brand have a good stance on the market. As you can see from the pictures it does look great! Its well priced too.

W0v3 - JL Audio

Amplifier

I actually had an old JBL GTO 2 channel amplifier which offered around 180-200 watts RMS which was more then enough for the subwoofer. Please don't quote me on this but most sub £100 amps would be sufficient to run a standard 10" subwoofer. It depends on the type of sound you after i guess? The amp sits just right of the spare tyre as you can see on the picture. For both the subwoofer and amplifier I also invested in the following sticky/Velcro tape which is excellent! Easily holds both items in place. I would buy two.

50MM HOOK & LOOP ADHESIVE BLACK HEAVY DUTY VELCRO TAPE | eBay

Install

The install was done locally in Manchester by a ICE store, they were OK i suppose but I can advise on the following money saving tips.

The 12v cable can be hooked up inside the fuse box to the right, if you want to keep the standard headunit like me you will need a speaker to rca adaptor which can be found here:

SPEAKER TO RCA CONVERTER - HIGH TO LOW LINE LEVEL CABLE | eBay

i was quoted £25 for the same item by the store who did my install! Jokers! I think this is the biggest part of the install as it must be installed behind the dash and an RCA is ran to the amp in the boot.

Remote cable - Mercedes headunit does not support the remote cable, which switches the amp on and off when the car is turned on/off. This cable will need to be attached to a local 12v cable - usually wiring which connects to the lighter is the best option.

Wiring kit:

Please note this wiring kit is only for a standard amp, you may need a bigger kit for a bigger amp etc.

1000W CAR AMP AMPLIFIER POWER WIRING KIT 10 AWG GAUGE | eBay

Overall

I am very pleased with the results, excellent quality build, reasonable costs and matches the cars brand/class.

The sound so far is great! As the subwoofer is new its is currently on a very low setting to run for the first 2 weeks. I will report back soon.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help. I have spend the last 60 days reading every forum on this subject!

Thank for reading, hope you all like.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 210
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 183
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
That looks excellent , any way of covering the speaker ? It would last about 5 minutes with all my crap flying round in my boot as i go round bends.

Amp location picture.

Attachments

• photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 225
That looks excellent , any way of covering the speaker ? It would last about 5 minutes with all my crap flying round in my boot as i go round bends.

Yes grills are available on ebay! I dont have kids so this no issue for me.

Need a little work to tweak the amp. Seems to be shaking the back seat lol !

Looks almost OEM, nice!

I'm looking to do something similar in my W211 and was looking for inspiration so cheers ;-)

I'm keen to do something similar on my 2012 C220 Estate.

How much was the entire project, in £s?

looks good

Hi kap02

I've been reading your thread on installing your new amp. I have 2013 c250 coupe with standard audio 20 system. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers (back & front) and I was wondering if u had upgraded your speakers or just added a sub?? if you have yograded your speakers as well could you recommend me some speakers I can have installed easily into the existing speaker holes??? I've been reading the American websites and people seem to be recommending the infinit kappa speakers?

Hi kap02

I've been reading your thread on installing your new amp. I have 2013 c250 coupe with standard audio 20 system. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers (back & front) and I was wondering if u had upgraded your speakers or just added a sub?? if you have yograded your speakers as well could you recommend me some speakers I can have installed easily into the existing speaker holes??? I've been reading the American websites and people seem to be recommending the infinit kappa speakers?

Sorry for the late replies !

I didn't upgrade the speakers and the standard setup is pretty good. Unless you plan on using an AMP for your speakers I would not bother as the standard head unit will not provide enough power to support the gains.

Add a sub woofer, turn the bass down to your speakers - DONE :thumb:

I'm keen to do something similar on my 2012 C220 Estate.

How much was the entire project, in £s?

£110 for the box

£120 for sub and amp (most can be found on ebay for cheaper)

£75 to fit.

How did you wire it all up any pictures you are able to share

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom