Bespoke Suits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
Firstly, I'm not at all wealthy, I have my own business but it's still growing and I'm a regular guy with a regular income.

I'm a bit of barrel shape (5'8" - 46" chest) and I have terrible trouble getting suits to fit me. I find a jacket that fits and I look like Gorilla with sleeves to my knees and it often costs as much to alter it as it does to buy the thing to start with.

I've always wanted a bespoke suit, made to fit me as I do take a great deal of pride in my appearance, but the prices have always been beyond my reach.

Not any more, I got measured for two suits today at this place in Surbiton:-

http://www.kingandallen.co.uk/

Two suits - £630.00

They do vouchers and I'm horribly difficult to buy presents for as I don't really want anything, I'm not into video games or techonology etc....So this Christmas I asked for vouchers for this place.

I got measured today (they operate 7 days a week) it was a friendly and helpful service and not at all pretentious. My suits will be ready for a first fitting in about 6 weeks or so.

Last edited:
Thailand...

You could have had an interesting holiday for a week.....and a couple of suits for that... :)

Remember years ago my dad had a couple made while on Holiday, 24 hr turn around also and all sorts of fabric.

I usually need to buy separates because it's difficult to find a matched suit which fits top and bottom. Which is a pain because it rules out designer suits, and pretty much just leaves M&S.

So I had a made to measure suit last time and it is wonderful. Made to measure though, rather than genuinely bespoke, so it meant that they made changes to an existing suit already on the peg. Good enough for me though.

A friend is a reasonably well known fashion designer, and before he made it big he used to make the lads suits. My brother in law was and still is best mates, and so has a few. Sadly I didn't get one. Doh!!

In 1991 I was in Bangkok and decided to get a suit made up. I chose an olive green linen mix and matched it with dark purple Thai silk for the lining. I spent a about 2 hours getting measured. It was very thorough. After two days or so the suit was ready to collection, however, the night before I was due to collect it, a democracy revolt broke out and I became trapped in the area where I was staying. When I tried to get pass the army blockade, the Thai military stopped me - my rather pathetic waving of a British passport failed to impress the young conscripts on duty, who rather aggressively waved back their rifles.
Anyway to cut a long story...I left without collecting the suit....end of story I thought...but the tailor's actually posted it on and I got it several weeks later back in London much to my surprise and delight.
Sadly that delight didn't last long. While it was certainly my olive/purple suit it was so weirdly cut it beggared belief. If the tailors had randomly picked numbers out of a hat it probably would have fitted better. The crotch was just an inch above my knees, the shoulders would have put an american football quarter back to shame and as for the arms they were....well they were very long!
Even after restorative surgery by a East End tailor, that suit was never right...a talking point when worn, certainly, a bespoke "second skin"...no

In 1991 I was in Bangkok and decided to get a suit made up. I chose an olive green linen mix and matched it with dark purple Thai silk for the lining. I spent a about 2 hours getting measured. It was very thorough. After two days or so the suit was ready to collection, however, the night before I was due to collect it, a democracy revolt broke out and I became trapped in the area where I was staying. When I tried to get pass the army blockade, the Thai military stopped me - my rather pathetic waving of a British passport failed to impress the young conscripts on duty, who rather aggressively waved back their rifles.
Anyway to cut a long story...I left without collecting the suit....end of story I thought...but the tailor's actually posted it on and I got it several weeks later back in London much to my surprise and delight.
Sadly that delight didn't last long. While it was certainly my olive/purple suit it was so weirdly cut it beggared belief. If the tailors had randomly picked numbers out of a hat it probably would have fitted better. The crotch was just an inch above my knees, the shoulders would have put an american football quarter back to shame and as for the arms they were....well they were very long!Even after restorative surgery by a East End tailor, that suit was never right...a talking point when worn, certainly, a bespoke "second skin"...no

Sounds like it would have fitted me perfectly!

Firstly, I'm not at all wealthy, I have my own business but it's still growing and I'm a regular guy with a regular income.

I'm a bit of barrel shape (5'8" - 46" chest) and I have terrible trouble getting suits to fit me. I find a jacket that fits and I look like Gorilla with sleeves to my knees and it often costs as much to alter it as it does to buy the thing to start with.

I've always wanted a bespoke suit, made to fit me as I do take a great deal of pride in my appearance, but the prices have always been beyond my reach.

Not any more, I got measured for two suits today at this place in Surbiton:-

http://www.kingandallen.co.uk/

Two suits - £630.00

They do vouchers and I'm horribly difficult to buy presents for as I don't really want anything, I'm not into video games or techonology etc....So this Christmas I asked for vouchers for this place.

I got measured today (they operate 7 days a week) it was a friendly and helpful service and not all pretentious. My suits will be ready for a first fitting in about 6 weeks or so.

Sounds good...I always get two trousers for each jacket.

Just had a good read of that King and Allen site. Gonna give 'em a whirl. All reads well.

That sounds like a good buy from a local company.

I have recently placed an order with http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Everything-Bespoke you need to take all the measurements yourself then send them off to Asia, you obviously have no chance for a final fitting for small adjustments so I am now waiting to see how the finished article turns out. Delivery is 6-8 weeks.

Peter.

I've never heard of them and I've lived in Surbiton for 16 years!

I've had a few suits from this company who used to regularly visit our office. Was about the same price as yours for 2 suits (4 pairs of trousers).

BTW George at Asda do suits for £19 ;)

I've never heard of them and I've lived in Surbiton for 16 years!

They are only 5 years old, set up by a couple of guys that saw a market for decent suits for regular people.

I'll keep peaople updated as and when they arrive, but so far, impressed with the service and helpful advice.

If any of you do get to Bangkok and want suits made go to see Bobby at Raja Fashions on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit Road at the Nana junction. He does almost exclusively Italian wool/cashmere mixes (120/130/150 and some 180 knot) and british tweeds. A suit will cost about £200 and shirts are about £15. He is not the cheapest but certainly one of the best. In the course of a week you will need about 3 fittings.

He also did me a black wool/cashmere (50%/50% not your 10% and lets call it a cashmere coat) overcoat for £200. In the UK that would have been 800-£1000.

Do not be tempted by the $100 for a suit 2 trousers and 3 shirts offeres - they are rubbish.

Be interested to hear what you made of it Mud when you get fitted.

If any of you do get to Bangkok and want suits made go to see Bobby at Raja Fashions on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit Road at the Nana junction. He does almost exclusively Italian wool/cashmere mixes (120/130/150 and some 180 knot) and british tweeds. A suit will cost about £200 and shirts are about £15. He is not the cheapest but certainly one of the best. In the course of a week you will need about 3 fittings.

He also did me a black wool/cashmere (50%/50% not your 10% and lets call it a cashmere coat) overcoat for £200. In the UK that would have been 800-£1000.

Do not be tempted by the $100 for a suit 2 trousers and 3 shirts offeres - they are rubbish.

Actually I think the Raja guy does London visits, I was going to go with him but then I found the King and Allen website, I just liked the fact they were here, I could go to them for fitting and alterations and in real terms these suits were no more expensive than a half decent off the peg.

I don't even wear suits daily (if I did I would have gone for two pairs of trousers as Ian suggests), but when I do it needs to look decent.

Singapore is a better bet for suits in asia.

I agree and it gets better these days, guy measures you at the airport in London, e mails the details to Singapore, Suit ready for your first fitting the next day and it makes the £48 suits at Tesco's look expensive.:)

Looks like Bobby has left

http://www.rajastailors.com/index.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom