Best £50 router

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Any suggestions please, have £50 to spend??

Need to link two laptops and our Wii to our desktop to share the internet connection and printer!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I bought a Belkin modem and router combined with life time guarantee from PC World, can't go wrong!

I would probably say the opposite and go for Linksys . . some time back I would have avoided them . . but since their merger with Cisco, the product range has improved.

You'd think that but I've found that they dont last very long. I was on my third replacement before giving up with Linksys altogether.

Frankly I dont rate Cisco kit much either. Overpriced, clunky and although market leaders, they are far from being the best hardware and their support isnt anything to write home about.

we've got linksys and Edimax - Both have been reliable but the edimax one has proved much better at maintaining connections when the line quality fluctuates

I only use 3com gear and oddly enough it's mostly come from MISCO!

I first had a 3com ADSL router, which was swapped for a wireless router when it was released, then my sister moved out and took it with her so I bought the new equivalent, then *I* moved out and bought the new equivalent.

All have been excellent.

Sometimes it's easier to have the same brand and generation of network equipment in use in each computer etc so that compatibility and support is better.

I have used Belkin and Netgear, only problem I found was the network card for both systems in the laptops was not very good. Plugged in a USB antenna and the system was infinitely better. Suddenly from having difficulty accessing our own net, we could pick up another two from our neighbours as well.

one more thing when you set up the security, do mac address blocking, every wirless device has a unique address ie. 00-0b-23 etc, this way its nearly impossible to hack in, using wep etc these are easily hacked from anyone with a little knowledge

I have a spare linksys wireless router / gateway thingummy in the garage if you want it ? I upgraded recently so this is just spare and all my mates and family already had one so I literally couldn't give it away ?

Over the past 5 years we've had 3 :

Netgear - always dropped connection and needed rebooting regularly

Belkin - My mum was always on the phone to me during the week to try and get it working (i work away from home) in the end i had to hardwire the pc to the router.

Linksys - absolutely wonderful. never any problems.

Thats my 2p worth.

Regards,

KJ

I have a spare linksys wireless router / gateway thingummy in the garage if you want it ? I upgraded recently so this is just spare and all my mates and family already had one so I literally couldn't give it away ?

Mozzer, you have a PM:D

You'd think that but I've found that they dont last very long. I was on my third replacement before giving up with Linksys altogether.

Frankly I dont rate Cisco kit much either. Overpriced, clunky and although market leaders, they are far from being the best hardware and their support isnt anything to write home about.

Linksys is a division of Cisco so maybe not a surprise!

I have had a Linksys router for about 4 years now. Bit iffy to start with but after flashing revised firmware works v. well and gives no trouble whatsoever

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...ite=US&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom