Best 55k upgraded Heat exchanger

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by Gbrowncls55, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Gbrowncls55

Gbrowncls55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
    I am just about to start some cooling upgrades prior to a modest pulley and remap on the cls55
    I have the Bosche 10 pump to replace the original as that seems to be the most reliable upgrade, but which upgraded intercooler heat exchanger is best / most effective at bringing down AITs.
    I want one that will fit in stock position on the cls without cutting up the front apron or messing about with oil coolers etc. PLM? Fabtec V2? Eurocharged?
    Any thoughts?

2. AngryDog

AngryDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E60 M5
  3. AngryDog

Car:
    E60 M5
    I've just been doing some reading up on this. A larger HE may not make a lot of difference.

4. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
  5. AngryDog

Car:
    E60 M5
    I aren't a fan of Killer Chiller in the sense that it is putting extra strain on the a/c system. Also, is there a risk to the hotter water affecting the a/c?

6. whitenemesis

Car:
    Have a read of the FAQs here

https://killerchiller.com/p/faq

7. whitenemesis

Car:
    You could of course fit the stand-alone system?

8. kopkid

kopkid Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w211 e55 amg
    I put plm straight fit bigger exchanger made a lot of difference and I fitted my self in 45 minutes

9. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    Fabtec v2 here...+ split cooling tank

10. AngryDog

Car:
    E60 M5
    Cheers. So if the A/C system shuts off under WOT, how does it work when you're at WOT?

11. jimiE55

jimiE55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55k
    The beauty of the killer chiller, is it brings your temps right down, between runs. Much more than purely a split cooling/Big HE. Meth is obvious one for WOT. It depends to what level each person wants to go, and what they are doing with their cars.

12. OP
    OP
    Gbrowncls55

Gbrowncls55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
    If you need two to three gallons of fluid in the split kc system isn't the easiest / neatest solution to remove the HE and replace it with a fabricated tank for the fluid in the same location and mounting. Would also keep it cooler than an in-engine bay tank and there is little space for that sort of capacity anyway. Anybody here or in the states done this. Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick....again.

13. SMed08

SMed08 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55k AMG
    You really need a large tank, either front or boot mount to store the chilled water. If you're doing relatively short pulls (max 1/4 mile tbh), it should be good. Long run/top speed runs etc it's not a great solution. A lot of people suggest that pinnacle cooling for these cars is KC+Water/Meth. KC gives great, below ambient starting IATs while water/meth stops it from rising too much.

Water/meth should be cheaper, but requires pulling the supercharger off to locate the nozzle in the correct position. Kits cost a few hundred £. KC kits cost around £1000 ish I think.

14. AngryDog

Car:
    E60 M5
    Makes sense - I won't be going this route as I am not going any further with my E55 in tuning terms, I may fit a larger HE but that's about it.

I could do meth (I sell Meth kits so they're cheaper for me lol) but I don't see the point at my level of tune.

15. Dogbreath

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    How are you monitoring the temps, I don't want to be messing about with a phone app...! Is there a gauge/screen that can be plumbed in ? Like a boost/Egt gauge setup...?
    Cheers
    Lee

16. Dogbreath

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    How are you monitoring the temps, I don't want to be messing about with a phone app...! Is there a gauge/screen that can be plumbed in ? Like a boost/Egt gauge setup...?
    Cheers
    Lee

17. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55TT & RR 5.0 SC
    Depends how accurate you want the information to be. The easiest and least ugly is probably ScanGauge II. It plugs into the OBD port, allows to read/erase codes, shows up to 4 parameters on one screen (text). The downside is the slow speed of refresh of the OBD. If you want real time info, a dedicated temp sensor with a standalone controller is the way to go. Some good ones like Zeitronix offer datalogging features, allow 2 controllers (for each bank), lambda, EGT, etc. They require wiring though.

18. Dogbreath

Car:
    2005 E55K AMG
    Thanks Alx
    I will have a look, yes definitely real time info is what iim after. A monitor giving different features would be ideal. I will ask our merc friends over the pond what they use.
    But cheers for the starting point
    Lee

19. SMed08

SMed08 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55k AMG
    Maybe we can talk :D

20. AngryDog

Car:
    E60 M5
    I am but a PM away :D