Best 55k upgraded Heat exchanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS500 4.7TT 2012,, SL350 09, 996 cab, all current. Gone :CLS 55 E500 W211, 2x M5s and too many 911s
I am just about to start some cooling upgrades prior to a modest pulley and remap on the cls55
I have the Bosche 10 pump to replace the original as that seems to be the most reliable upgrade, but which upgraded intercooler heat exchanger is best / most effective at bringing down AITs.
I want one that will fit in stock position on the cls without cutting up the front apron or messing about with oil coolers etc. PLM? Fabtec V2? Eurocharged?
Any thoughts?

I've just been doing some reading up on this. A larger HE may not make a lot of difference.

I aren't a fan of Killer Chiller in the sense that it is putting extra strain on the a/c system. Also, is there a risk to the hotter water affecting the a/c?

You could of course fit the stand-alone system?

I put plm straight fit bigger exchanger made a lot of difference and I fitted my self in 45 minutes

Cheers. So if the A/C system shuts off under WOT, how does it work when you're at WOT?

The beauty of the killer chiller, is it brings your temps right down, between runs. Much more than purely a split cooling/Big HE. Meth is obvious one for WOT. It depends to what level each person wants to go, and what they are doing with their cars.

If you need two to three gallons of fluid in the split kc system isn't the easiest / neatest solution to remove the HE and replace it with a fabricated tank for the fluid in the same location and mounting. Would also keep it cooler than an in-engine bay tank and there is little space for that sort of capacity anyway. Anybody here or in the states done this. Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick....again.

Cheers. So if the A/C system shuts off under WOT, how does it work when you're at WOT?

You really need a large tank, either front or boot mount to store the chilled water. If you're doing relatively short pulls (max 1/4 mile tbh), it should be good. Long run/top speed runs etc it's not a great solution. A lot of people suggest that pinnacle cooling for these cars is KC+Water/Meth. KC gives great, below ambient starting IATs while water/meth stops it from rising too much.

Water/meth should be cheaper, but requires pulling the supercharger off to locate the nozzle in the correct position. Kits cost a few hundred £. KC kits cost around £1000 ish I think.

You really need a large tank, either front or boot mount to store the chilled water. If you're doing relatively short pulls (max 1/4 mile tbh), it should be good. Long run/top speed runs etc it's not a great solution. A lot of people suggest that pinnacle cooling for these cars is KC+Water/Meth. KC gives great, below ambient starting IATs while water/meth stops it from rising too much.

Water/meth should be cheaper, but requires pulling the supercharger off to locate the nozzle in the correct position. Kits cost a few hundred £. KC kits cost around £1000 ish I think.

Makes sense - I won't be going this route as I am not going any further with my E55 in tuning terms, I may fit a larger HE but that's about it.

I could do meth (I sell Meth kits so they're cheaper for me lol) but I don't see the point at my level of tune.

How are you monitoring the temps, I don't want to be messing about with a phone app...! Is there a gauge/screen that can be plumbed in ? Like a boost/Egt gauge setup...?
Cheers
Lee

How are you monitoring the temps, I don't want to be messing about with a phone app...! Is there a gauge/screen that can be plumbed in ? Like a boost/Egt gauge setup...?
Cheers
Lee

Cheers
Lee

Depends how accurate you want the information to be. The easiest and least ugly is probably ScanGauge II. It plugs into the OBD port, allows to read/erase codes, shows up to 4 parameters on one screen (text). The downside is the slow speed of refresh of the OBD. If you want real time info, a dedicated temp sensor with a standalone controller is the way to go. Some good ones like Zeitronix offer datalogging features, allow 2 controllers (for each bank), lambda, EGT, etc. They require wiring though.

Thanks Alx
I will have a look, yes definitely real time info is what iim after. A monitor giving different features would be ideal. I will ask our merc friends over the pond what they use.
But cheers for the starting point
Lee

Makes sense - I won't be going this route as I am not going any further with my E55 in tuning terms, I may fit a larger HE but that's about it.

I could do meth (I sell Meth kits so they're cheaper for me lol) but I don't see the point at my level of tune.

Maybe we can talk :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom