Best adhesive to use on a car dashboard during hot weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

What is the best adhesive to use on a car dashboard that will not come off even in really hot weather? I've tried double sided tape and and ultra-strong velcro, but everything seems to melt off of the dashboard with this heat. Any suggestions?

Its for the Parrot ck1300 Headunit. i am tempted to hot glue the thing, or screw into the dash.

Also the plastic gaurd around the boot clasp has broken off. So thats another hot glue job i think.

Last edited:
What is the best adhesive to use on a car dashboard that will not come off even in really hot weather? I've tried double sided tape and and ultra-strong velcro, but everything seems to melt off of the dashboard with this heat. Any suggestions?

Where do you live - Nevada ?!

Try superglueing a d ring or something similar to the back of the Parrot and then using a tie wrap to attach it somewhere handy on the dash. That way the Parrot and car can easily be separated without any damage to either and if you sell the car you won't have any nasty glue marks.

Have you prepared the surface first? Dashboard cleaners usually have some form of silicone in them which will prevent the adhesive making good contact.

You can buy special double-sided adhesive pads from Halfords, which are pretty good. As above, make sure the surface is scrupulously clean (meths is good), flat, and ideally completely smooth. On any kind of 'textured' surface the contact area is hugely reduced as the adhesive only touches the high points.

These tapes have somewhat lower peel, tensile and shear performance than most other VHB due to their inherent softness.

Wouldn't that indicate a greater tendency to peel.?

66 metres per roll, three rolls per box, for £450. ;)

£2.72 per metre.

1469.jpg

have you tried the non slip mat? wprks for me.

I know this is an old thread but I have bought an iphone dock that I intend to use on the dash but need to work out the best way of fixing it. It is textured (B class) and tape wont cut it. The phone will be top heavy so needs to be fixed down well. I dont want to make it a permanent fixture as when I sell the car or upgrade the phone I need to be able to take it off with out marks.

Can a silicon do this job?

I know this is an old thread but I have bought an iphone dock that I intend to use on the dash but need to work out the best way of fixing it. It is textured (B class) and tape wont cut it. The phone will be top heavy so needs to be fixed down well. I dont want to make it a permanent fixture as when I sell the car or upgrade the phone I need to be able to take it off with out marks.

Can a silicon do this job?

It would if you clean the dash with solvent and then bond it with clear silicon.
Give it 24 hours to dry.
If that fails then polyurethane but that will take more to remove.
Hardest part will be getting the dash clean enough.

My local ICE installer gave me some black blu-tack type stuff, I do not know what it is called, but it did the trick and was easy to remove and reposition as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom