Best autobhan Route to Stuttgart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
Hello guys,

Can anyone help derive me a route that involves plenty of autobhan action to Stuttgart please. I'm sure the well seasoned euro driver amongst us will know a good route or two!:thumb:

I'm driving from London to Stars & Cars 2015, and choice of car well had to take the airplane that is the w215 600 V12 Bi turb.

cheers
Billy.

Hi Billy can you post some pictures of the V12 please?

Hi Yes will post some pics up this weekend.

I bought it 2 months ago 2004 Obsidian Black with 62k on clock.
Previous 2 owners was registered to The Independent papers and a garden company in covent Garden.

All the usual extras just missing rear fridge (not bothered) and KEY-LESS GO (would be nice) i'm so used to it on my E63 but hey ho! A nice addition is i think, the rare black ash wood trim as opposed to the usual burl walnut trim on most models. Makes a nice touch combined with the soft black perforated nappa leather. It still smells 'like new' inside i kid you not! Also has two original CL65 rear AMG quads which to me tops it off.

Its a well cared for example and i'm pleased. Ive had good feedback from those who have inspected it with a fine tooth comb, its always quite a nerve-racking time when you come face to face with the true possibility of the lemon you have actually really bought!

Plenty of big maintenance bills came with this inculding ABC niggles that have been sorted etc. These CL's are really a time bomb waiting to go off so when i was looking for one i had to ensure it was releitvely low in mileage and had all the usual work carried out. Having said that and knowing what i'm like, Ive just settled a big bill myself under my ownership with a major service and an all fluid change inc ABC fluid. 2 new Coil packs and ignition module because i am a nutter and dont want to hamper my V12 experience just incase that stupid little misfire on an adhoc basis from hot start decides to show its face when it feels like! :thumb:

Last edited:
Nice! The A8 below Stuttgart to Munich has a nice wide section once you get there. Much of the western motorways (frankly all over Germany) are only 2 lanes. Just put your foot down when aloud (see what I did there) and let rip. Keep focused on traffic to the right and expect a few idiots to not realise you are coming up on impulse power and pull out in front of you. Standards are better than UK generally but not what they were 25 years ago. Many more vehicles in general and specifically foreign, Eastern European ones where the driving standard is not so high compared to when I lived there.

Remember at this time of year if you have an accident and you are not on winter tyres you will pretty much automatically pick up a greater portion of the blame.

Enjoy the trip

Nice! The A8 below Stuttgart to Munich has a nice wide section once you get there. Much of the western motorways (frankly all over Germany) are only 2 lanes. Just put your foot down when aloud (see what I did there) and let rip. Keep focused on traffic to the right and expect a few idiots to not realise you are coming up on impulse power and pull out in front of you. Standards are better than UK generally but not what they were 25 years ago. Many more vehicles in general and specifically foreign, Eastern European ones where the driving standard is not so high compared to when I lived there.

Remember at this time of year if you have an accident and you are not on winter tyres you will pretty much automatically pick up a greater portion of the blame.

Enjoy the trip

Ta mate, yes interesting to note regarding winter tyres, i just put two new rear Dunlop rubbers on the 20inch alloys that came with this beast, I wsnt aware untill afterwards it is a law in Germany however given that the conditions at the time are not heavy snow and/or black ice you can get away with it and at most a 40 EUR fine or at worst the rozzers will make you wait till the rtoads clear up!!

I did a summer trip a year or two back in the 124 to Frankfurt then on to Hockenheim for the GP, Stuttgart route seems to have less Bhans..

Have fun - the C215 is as happy as a clam sitting on its limiter. Also, with 500hp it's the ease at which you can get up to speed that makes it so pleasurable.

That said, the last time I went most of the Autobahns were stuffed full of other cars which meant you couldn't really do anything safely. The only time I was able to open it up was on a quiet two-lane one which was a bit too twisty and hilly to zip along properly.

Regarding the route, if you look at Google Maps and choose let say Calais as start, then Limburg as stop point and then Stuttgart as end, route will be forced on A3. It's 3 lanes however there are some road works near Limburg.

If you go on A61, there's a lot of speed limits at 120 and 130 km/h. I always make sure to avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom