Best Car Advertising Option?

What is the best car advertising option?

• Autotrader

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • EBAY

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Pistonheads

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Owners Club

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • On the road with an advert in the window

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drsingh

Car
Mercedes Benz E320CDi 05-reg
What is the best medium to advertise your car?

Best in terms of price, potential customer base, success rate etc

Last edited:
It is quite expensive in recent times, compared to what it used to be, but I got hardly any interested on my previous Saab until I put it in Autotrader.

I recently sold my car through Autotrader. I also advertised it in the Classifieds section of this site. Autotrader generated 8 calls with the first guy who came to view the car buying the car within 2 days of his initial call. Whereas this site only generated 1 interested person. However, I did submit much much better photos for the Autotrader advert.

Although Autotrader is very expensive compared to other options, I think it is still the first point of call for most people searching for a new car.

I am surprised that no one has been able to put together a real competitor to Autotrader.

eBay absolutely dwarfs Auto Trader, IME.

If you are buying a £10k motor, wouldn't you like to see the previous transactions of that seller? Just to give a bit of piece of mind?

eBay absolutely dwarfs Auto Trader, IME.

If you are buying a £10k motor, wouldn't you like to see the previous transactions of that seller? Just to give a bit of piece of mind?

+1

Also, the amount of space for text and flexibility to format gives the seller/owner a chance to show another side of themself which you might not see in the Autotrader.

Good points actually. I think what put me off eBay at first was the auction-only style adverts.

As they have since introduced classifieds, I'd consider that now...

Most enquirys I had when I sold a van, motorbike and my previous car (in my avatar), where from eBay and Autotrader.

When I sold my motorbike I put an advert for it in my car window, too, had one enquiry.

You could also have Gumtree (a classified listings site, owned by eBay) as an option too, I guess it would come under "other" anyway.

You could also have Gumtree (a classified listings site, owned by eBay) as an option too, I guess it would come under "other" anyway.

IME Gumtree is superb for any car under £4k max. Anything over £6k does not generate much interest if any.

We sold my Father in Laws Pug in Ebay last month, listed at 7pm on a Sunday, sold 5 hours later.

For low value vehicles it's the way to go.

I only ever use eBay now since i liested both my 7 series and my CLK in autotrader several years ago all I got was scammers trying to ask me to ship it abroad and they pay me twice the value of the car.

ebay is the best route and gives the best advert (if you list it correctly and write it well laid out with nice colours, font, photos etc). nice, clear easy to view advert is always best with lots of nice photos. Cant be beaten.

We sold my Father in Laws Pug in Ebay last month, listed at 7pm on a Sunday, sold 5 hours later.

For low value vehicles it's the way to go.

Depends on the car. My very cheap Saab got nothing on GT.

Find out its REAL value, not what you would like for it. This takes a bit of research. Factor in the hassle of a private sale, with test drives and insurance cover, the outrageous advertising costs and sometimes its best to just trade it in.

I favour eBay, have bought and sold cars on eBay, as long as the listing is accurate and the asking price appropriate, it might sell. Remember that on eBay, its actually sold when the buyer pays, perhaps before they see the car. So best to be honest and give the buyer a right to call off the deal if the vehicle is not as described. Worked for me several times but 'buyer beware' has never been more apt; no comeback on a private sale.

Put my car on Autotrader and have only had one call in 12 days and thats even after reducing it.Ok maybe if i sold cars for a living then maybe i could make a great ad but i dont think its too bad.Bad time of year to sell cars maybe? But then i guess the right car at the right price will always sell.

Put my car on Autotrader and have only had one call in 12 days and thats even after reducing it.Ok maybe if i sold cars for a living then maybe i could make a great ad but i dont think its too bad.Bad time of year to sell cars maybe? But then i guess the right car at the right price will always sell.

Have you got a link to your advert?

Nothing stands out as being bad and your price seems fair, you'd probably get about £11,500 as a trade-in.

Most of my cars get sold on to friends or relatives! (except the duff ones of course....)

Tried Autotrader once and whilst it did shift annoyed by a couple of would be scammers and time wasters. Grrrr!

Also Autotrader profits keep The Guardian afloat, something I resent deeply.

Also Autotrader profits keep The Guardian afloat, something I resent deeply.

I never knew that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom