Best car for camping (tent) trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
In need of an advise as all rear seat occupants are growing up and saloon became too tight.
As per title, trips are to Northern Italy, two adults, two kids, one bulldog, 5 berth tent + equipment (chairs,table,...) for 10 days camping, four 21" cases, travel fridge, 1 bag of inflatable toys for kids and the dog and other stuff we never use on holidays but need to carry. We have large roof box.
Idea is to crate the dog in the boot so kids can have their space. I know I need an estate or MPV but which one.
Budget 8k.
Fuel economy is not so important.
E-Class is already on radar but is there any other car for what I need it for?
R class? V70?
I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

Put dog in kennels and send kids to grandparents. Buy SLK and chuck a small suitcase in the back. Set satnav for Lake Garda and stay in a nice hotel. Sorted. :thumb:

Cheers,

Gaz

Put dog in kennels and send kids to grandparents. Buy SLK and chuck a small suitcase in the back. Set satnav for Lake Garda and stay in a nice hotel. Sorted. :thumb:

Cheers,

Gaz

Grandparents are 2000 miles away so this would involve driving as well but I like your thinking.

Thanks. Problem with Vito is that I couldn't live with it as a daily drive. As a second car for trips only it would be my first choice.

Viano then maybe? Same thing but less 'van like' - plusher inside and a bit quieter.

We've had the V6 Vito for nearly 9 years now ... very practical, quick, plenty refined enough for long trips. Parktronic means no problem parking or manoeuvring, low enough to go in multi-storey car parks etc.

Mrs BTB and I both enjoy driving it - handles pretty well. We wanted 3 seats in the front and no rear windows ... otherwise we'd probably have gone for a Viano.

I decided to give swedes a chance with a Volvo V70 SE 3.2 . Very impressed with cabin space it offers and boot is wide/long enough for a large crate, small fridge and a couple of suitcases. Maybe even some of flat packed camping equipment will fit. Everything else will go in a roof box.
I find that used materials are a bit of a step back from W211 (it's more like W212), seats are much more comfortable than in E class and the performance is great.
Steering is, let's say different, compared to MB and I can just hope I'll get used to it.

Best Car I had for this duty was Subaru Legacy Outback 4x4 spec B and 300 Bhp. Hauled us and the camping gear all over Europe, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Jerez, Spa never missed a beat in 3 years and 120k miles. Now cheap as chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom