Best car race game

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Chafer

Car
W124. 1988 E Class Estate
would anyone car to share any reccomendation about a car race programme for the PC ?

prefferably Id like to race around the strest of London / NY / paris etc

My son would like a steering wheel etc , so what is the ideal set up so I can start saving for HIS Xmas pressie

I've sneaked into PC world a couple of times to look at steering wheels etc & it's all a bit confusing. :confused:

Thanks for any suggestions guys , my PC is a good spec and less than 19 months old.

Steve

Last edited:
I have Merc Benz World Racing which is like £3 from Game. New York, Japan, Australia etc inc the official MB test track.

Steering wheel is the Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP, £40.

Lots of great games out at the moment BUT the best wheel by far is the Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback, had one for four years, just great build quality, feel and support.

the Midtown Madness series are very good.

The best arcade style car racing game at the moment is Need For Speed Underground 2

I've had a Sidewinder Force Feedback for years, and as lotusmark2 says, it's the best available. Get one of these, and your gaming will be peachy... :)

I love the Need For Speed range, and the arcade style is fun. IMHO Underground 2 isn't the best, but it's the newest, and graphics and sound are top rate.

The 'simulations' rather than the 'arcade' style (TOCA, various rally games and so on) can be difficult to get into, and a therefore could be a bit dull, but I guess it depends what you're looking for.

As Christmas approaches, keep your eye on mags like PCFormat, which review all the latest games. October & November see the most releases, and reading the reviews will give you a good idea of what games are available.

PJ

The best driving game for realism has to be GTR but its quite hard and a steering wheel is needed.
I always liked (and still like) TOCA race driver 2 as its half way between simulation and arcade game and itsn't too hard to be fun.
Best arcade style driving game has to be Need for Speed Underground 2 but its a bit barry

I bought the thrustmaster f1 steering wheel, it rumbles over bumps etc giving you the impression your driving the car yourself but at £120.00 it wasnt cheap at the time,8 months ago approx, pitty the novelty wore off after 2 weeks.

It also features paddle shift gear changes and paddle shift accelerator/brake.

seperate 3 pedals are also included.

I also purchased toca race driver and grand prix 4, these games can also connect to the net and you can race against others around the globe.

Tocas my nicest game to play as you have lots of cars to choose from and plenty of tracks from around the world.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank for all the replies thus far:

plans on hold - bought my son a PSP today !

what an amazing quality screen ! Also got him a (really HIM) a car race game "need for speed underground rivals. he's been quiet all day !

Now if I can find some memory for it at a good price........... :bannana:

Wonder if the wee UMD films it takes can be played on other machines in the future ?

Steve

Last edited:
Slightly off topic - has anyone seen any screenshots for Test Drive which will be released on the XBOX 360?

This game seems to have some very accurately (interior and exterior) drawn Mercedes AMG models..

Screenshots on ign.com

On page 2 you can see what looks like an SLK dash and a nice SLR!

Steve Chafer said:
Thank for all the replies thus far:

plans on hold - bought my son a PSP today !

what an amazing quality screen ! Also got him a (really HIM) a car race game "need for speed underground rivals. he's been quiet all day !

Now if I can find some memory for it at a good price........... :bannana:

Wonder if the wee UMD films it takes can be played on other machines in the future ?

Steve

get him GT4, then he can take an E55 round the Nurburgring :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom