Best diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
Normally I would just use regular diesel but because I want to keep my ML270 for a while and do a few very short journeys during the week I want to make more of an effort to keep the engine as clean as possible. Any recommendations regarding premium diesels or additives etc?

Shell V Power Nitro + diesel for me. Don't know about the improved mpg / cleaning claims but it certainly does make the V6 diesel sound sweeter.

Kenny

V-Power Nitro would be my choice.

But even so doing very short journeys will not do your diesel engine any favours, no matter what you feed it on.

whitenemesis said:
V-Power Nitro would be my choice. But even so doing very short journeys will not do your diesel engine any favours, no matter what you feed it on.

I do longer journeys as well but taking the short journeys into account want to do what I can to look after it as much as I can

Millers diesel power ecomax.

^^^ +1 for Millers Ecomax Diesel Power.

I use supermarket fuel and add Millers at every fill. Keeps the fuel system clean, preserves the rubber seals, slightly improved mpg and quieter running. More economical than V-Power fuel.

Cheapest I've found is on ebay, under £10 for 500ml,inc P&P, but there is a member on here who can supply it if you're after larger quantities.

Last edited:
I used to use only Shell diesel and petrol, but stopped using Shell several years ago after reports of their advance fuel causing engines valves to burn out prematurely.

For the last several years I have been using supermarket fuel without any incidents. Initially I was using Millers, but did not notice any benefits as my MPG with Millers were lower than without using Millers (not very scientific but measured over a long period after purchasing a 5L bottle of Millers).

Now I use Redex diesel injector cleaner at every fill up. No noticeable benefits (but no degradation of MPG either) except MOT emission reports would suggest lower emission figures compared to previous years prior to using said injector cleaner.

i`ve heard mixed reports of that, i`m assuming you have found it worthwhile?

I have not long started using it and have done so on the strength of the many, many good reports from fellow members. Although I wouldn't mind the extra cost of filling at Shell etc only, I don't have a filling station that isn't a PITA to get to whilst I do have easy access to supermarket fuel.

If you need more information to make an informed decision, there are several threads on this topic (i.e. premium fuel versus additives) and the very general divide is premium only or supermarket and additive with Millers being the most common mentioned.

As said in another post, if cost is a consideration, the additive route is less costly and works but premium fuel costs more and also works. The middle ground is to use premium fuel every other or every third/fourth fill.

I have not long started using it and have done so on the strength of the many, many good reports from fellow members. Although I wouldn't mind the extra cost of filling at Shell etc only, I don't have a filling station that isn't a PITA to get to whilst I do have easy access to supermarket fuel.

If you need more information to make an informed decision, there are several threads on this topic (i.e. premium fuel versus additives) and the very general divide is premium only or supermarket and additive with Millers being the most common mentioned.

As said in another post, if cost is a consideration, the additive route is less costly and works but premium fuel costs more and also works. The middle ground is to use premium fuel every other or every third/fourth fill.

i tend to avoid supermarket petrol as far as possible but normally just go for regular diesel rather than premium (although i do use it occasionally) - it was reading various threads here and other places and taking into account the nursery runs i do three days a week that made me look into it a bit more to be honest but it`s more the cleaning aspect of it i`m interested in, anything else is a bonus.

I had a look at the EGR while troubleshooting recently and it was reasonably clean for a car with 15k miles so i`m keen to keep it that way if i can.

I don`t generally ever brim the tank either, whoever uses the car out of myself and the Mrs puts in for their needs which may have a bearing on it (i would imagine the Mrs just gets normal diesel) so i may try some additive and see how it goes.

that group buy idea sounds like it might be a good one BTW

If you need more information to make an informed decision,

The internet is full of information on how to make informed decisions.

When I see these threads on fuel there are several things that come to the front of my feeble brain:

• snake oil
  • placebo effect
  • cosmetic industry anti-aging claims
  • toothpaste
  • HDMI cables
  • herbal remedies
Nobody ever seems to figure that a proper blind test setup might be useful to dispell cynics like me.

Odd that.

You'd think if all these claims were substantial then the purveyors of premium fuels would be inclined to demionstrate that substance.

Instead it's all about anecdotal evidence and soft intangeable claims.

I could sell any fuel as Dryce D-Max Power Delusion and make all the claims the industry makes for the stuff they sell. In fact I would go further and say that my Dryce D-Max Power Delusion fights the six signs of engine power loss.

The I'd introduce Dryce D-Max Power Delusion Professional for those running their cars more than 15,000 miles per year. This would be a tough and durable fuel designed to meet the needs of the long distance driver. It would fight seven signs of engine power loss.

You'd think if all these claims were substantial then the purveyors of premium fuels would be inclined to demionstrate that substance.

Certainly Which? magazine did a brief test on the premium fuels (a couple of years ago?) and although it wasn't a completely scientific test (i.e. it wasn't done in a completely controlled environment), they couldn't find any measurable differences in MPG or rolling road power between the 'regular' and 'premium' fuel tested on the same vehicle. From the results of the tests they performed, they couldn't recommend premium fuel over the standard fuel.

Personally I feel that there are many countries with much worse fuel quality than the UK and MB cars are design to cope with a wide diverse range of fuel without the use of additives. The fuel available in the UK is pretty high quality and they all meet a consistent minimum standard. So I personally wouldn't obsess about which fuel I would put into my car in the UK.

When I see these threads on fuel there are several things that come to the front of my feeble brain:

• snake oil
  • placebo effect
  • toothpaste
  • HDMI cables
  • herbal remedies
Nobody ever seems to figure that a proper blind test setup might be useful to dispell cynics like me.

Odd that.

I could sell any fuel as Dryce D-Max Power Delusion and make all the claims the industry makes for the stuff they sell. In fact I would go further and say that my Dryce D-Max Power Delusion fights the six signs of engine power loss.

The I'd introduce Dryce D-Max Power Delusion Professional for those running their cars more than 15,000 miles per year. This would be a tough and durable fuel designed to meet the needs of the long distance driver. It would fight seven signs of engine power loss.

I`m a cynic myself so i am inclined to agree with you but wondered if anyone here could actually give real world opinion but in the meanwhille where can i get this Dryce D-Max Power Delusion Professional you speak of?

I use nothing but V-Power Nitro+ in my Merc - except once when I used BP Ultimate once, will never use that crap again. Car ran "ok" but felt different, but the mpg was down by 5 at the end of the tank, despite me just doing the usual trips in the usual way.

Now I also add a 100ml shot of Millers per fill-up - wasn't using it at the time of the BP incident as it shall hereafter be known lol. In part because I was very much an advocate of using 2-stroke oil in my prior car and in part due to the whole low-sulpher thing. I achieved quite shockingly good results using 2-stroke oil in my old Focus, despite expecting nothing. I'd hoped for similar results from a proper DPF-friendly blended product in the Millers, but not sure I see any difference when mixed with V-Power, though I suspect it may be effective and bringing "lesser" fuels up to snuff if you were forced to fill up at a supermarket for example, or had to use "normal" Shell for any reason.

Conversely though, my friend who was even more adamant than me that these additives do nothing, actually tried some of the Millers and was shocked by the results. He regularly does longer trips and has seen his average MPG improve markedly. Me however, with the same engine and gearbox as his E350 Coupe, did not see the same improvement, though I don't drive as often or as far as he does. He seems to have managed to improve his mpg at motorway speeds, where he spends a lot of time. I generally drive more A-Roads, though still rarely do any trips less than 20 miles

Scoob.

If you want cetane improvers, get some 2-Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate from chemical suppliers.
It's used at 0.1% to 0.2%
5 Litres costs £40 and treats up to 5000L of diesel.

Not being a hillbilly I use Shell V Nitro with no additives. I have tried it against supermarket (Tesco) Diesel, BP, and Esso, and, placebo, snake oil, or not I feel that I can detect quieter and smoother operation of my engine. I am not interested in economy, so don't measure it. The only supermarket fuel that comes anywhere near is Morrison's, and I know that some years ago before branding was removed from my local branch, the station sold Shell. Maybe a coincidence that, but whatever, I take no notice of anyone elses opinions and 'educated' guessing, for me Shell V gives a distinctly better performance. And in 12 years of running big diesel motors on short journeys, I've never had a problem.

It could be psychological of course, but what does that matter.

V-power diesel in the ML270 CDi - it doesn't need it but after umpteen years of using it, I'm not changing now!

Regular Shell or even Tesco (gasp) Diesel in the car from the dark side - we keep getting 20p per litre discounts from my Mom if we use her Tesco clubcard, which even for a fuel snob like me is difficult to pass up. And it is from the dark side, so no harm done :)

The AMGs only use V-power (petrol) but they benefit from the higher Octane rating.

I have not long started using it and have done so on the strength of the many good reports from fellow members.

If you need more information to make an informed decision, there are several threads on this topic

• snake oil
  • placebo effect
  • toothpaste
  • HDMI cables
  • herbal remedies

Odd that.

Quoting out of context in this manner seems to indicate that you have made your mind up. I , however, have yet to make mine up regarding this product or premium fuels in this sense:-

For someone like me who now does short/shortish journeys almost exclusively, I would rather take some preventative action for nothing more than peace of mind.

Anecdotal evidence or not, I have no wish to go into limp mode or be dismantling an EGR for cleaning or replacing it, rueing the lack of preventative action I could have taken for my year old vehicle which I intend to keep for a considerable time.

So, if it's okay with you, I'll continue with my un-scientific test for a while and I shall leave others to make their own minds up based on any information, anecdotal or scientific, they choose to take on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom