Best driving roads in the North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamster15

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW Z3m & Audi C5 V8
Guys,

I'm heading north for a few days over the next week, Chester area then on to the Lakes.

I'd really like to get some good driving roads in, any suggestions?

cheers.

A run through Glenridding down and up the Kirkstone pass is good fun, you don't realise how steep it its ion a powerful car, but I got caught behind a Mazda2 which was really struggling, my car was just loping along.

Coming back up from Patterdale is great, this is going down.

[YOUTUBE]jyXTDuNNyGk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Some great roads but I suspect the slower traffic will hamper your enjouyment.

Leek - Ashbourne - Derby is a good run but now for Cameras

As is the Cat & Fiddle to Buxton :) many a good 'trip' their

The Kirkstone and Rhinos pass are great, but narrow and watch out for sheep / bikes

The Kirkstone and Rhinos pass are great, but narrow and watch out for sheep / bikes
Also those roads are featured heavily on the "Britain's most dangerous roads" thread!

^ I never said they were safe :)

More recently they have I think become worse, the cat & fiddle ever since the larger barriers and signs were put up look more and more like a race track...

All it needs are braking distance signs and it would be a race track.

Just watch out for un marked Motorbikes / cars,.

Too be honest if you want to give your car a good run try Oulton Park, track days can be had for around £90 and if you have a helmet then turn up and go. Great fun !!

Best roads in the north?

Any that point south!

Just south of Chester - the EVO Triangle (google it, its a legend) - I"ll be there sunday in the SL

If you're heading off into North Wales, just be careful of horse boxes left at the side of the road...

Thanks guys, the pace will be rather sedate in the old S60 oil burner i'm not looking to hammer the old girl on this journey. I'll be taking the Nikon so any suggestion on good places to stop to take some pictures would also be appreciated.

I'd head up to the Lake district.

The Hardknott and Wyrnose passes are a must do. I've had many good drives up there, and the views are excellent. Dieselmans suggestion is also good. Another good run is the Honister pass.

Thats what I will be doing next weekend

I'd head up to the Lake district.

The Hardknott and Wyrnose passes are a must do. I've had many good drives up there, and the views are excellent. Dieselmans suggestion is also good. Another good run is the Honister pass.

Thats what I will be doing next weekend

Add Cold Fell & Corney Fell, little used and the views are spectacular if the weather is clear.

Leave the M6 at Carnforth and take the A6. It's scenic with some interesting villages and some beautiful sweeping curves. Head to Windermere from the A6 via the A590 and the A592, which runs along the side of Lake Windermere, over the Kirkstone Pass and on towards Penrith. You can rejoin the M6 at Penrith to continue the journey.

Maybe break the journey in the Lake District for a day or two.....

The A683 from Lancaster to the A65 was used for Police driver training back in the old days, but it's had a lot of "improvements" and "safety measures" that limit the challenge.

However, turn off this road onto the B6480 to High Bentham and you can play with "arrowheads" (limit points as the newer editions of Roadcraft calls them) to your hearts content - this road is a real challenge, and a rewarding experience when driven briskly (and safely). Continue on this road and it rejoins the A683 for a circular tour. Loads of good pubs serving great food, farmed locally.

a170 Thirsk to Helmsley has some nice curves but early mornings are better.

The motorcyclist video felt a bit unsafe to me, I think it might have been less alarming going the other way. I never trust the brakes going downhill on those things.

don't go on a sunday's.. lots of police.. just incase you forget the speed limits on the odd straight...:ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom