Best Drying Cloth/Chamois

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGClub

Car
C63 AMG
Hi All,

Any advice on a good cloth to dry a soaking car after a through wash?

I used to Valet cars many moons ago now. But then I always used a Vileda Flunky. Then just a light wipe with a micro fibre towel. Everyone I have recommend these to is still using them. You must rinse in clean water as you dry. A lot of people just ring out and then go back to the car. If you have missed any dirt during your wash you are now spreading this all over our car. So half a bucket of clean water to rinse as you go. Smear free dry car.

I mentioned this in another post titles The Clay Cloth Company - drying towels from The Clay Cloth Company are supreme - dry car fast, soft on paintwork and much easier, quicker and kinder than chamois leathers. There is a video on the other post of the Big Blue in action

Just bought the Big Orange from them - Microfibres - Shop

thanks guys, i think ill go for one of these

Big Blue Drying Towel £5.99
843x569.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also if you use a product like Gyeon Wet Coat that you spray on when the car is wet. It will help repel the water and dry even easier, even in this cold weather.

Nothing any better than the synthetic leather made ,or sold by Autoglym £9.99 and if you dont like it i will give you the price that you have paid for it . I have used these for 20 years nothing like them .They started of as Minky glass clothes .This was 30 years ago . I found they were so good i purchased 6 of them Then over time i ran out of them , all but the last one .And friend saw me cleaning my car with it after a rain storm . He was then dealing all over the world in this , and that ,said do you have the address .He sent for 20 of them from Sweden the country of origin . Then i had a few of them from him . But after years of looking for them myself and picking up a few that were not the same and did nothing to remove water from the car body. Then one day a visit to Halfords i saw this leather on the Autoglym stand in a box . Took one home . So after so long i have the same item back again . Try one i can only say you wont buy any other after that .The other thing is they last for years .Dont leave them wet let them dry out.

The only trouble with a chamois leather is the lack of forgiveness if there's dirt trapped between it and the paintwork. With a microfibre towel, there's a thick pile that should trap what potential dirt there is and minimise it's contact with the car.

Don't get me wrong, a chamois dries the car just about but then so does a drying blade and I won't use one on the car. £15 worth of drying towels (usually 3) will leave your car totally dry and you'll have streak free glass too.

Waffle weave microfiber for me....choose your brand, but I've found paying a bit extra is worth the money......A couple of good cloths are way cheaper than a polishing......

Last edited by a moderator:
Its up to you .I worked in detaling cars , and caravans .We use nothing but these synthetic leathers and they are not chamois leathers .To look at them they are made with lots of very fine spun rubber .It squeezes out like a sponge . But if you have never used one, then you wont be able to judge them .My whole life as been cars of one type or another . My friends said ,that you can tell my car by its shine . When you have to clean caravans for the major caravan and camping shows in the country they must be clean under those sodium spotlights in the roof of the NEC and the likes . So you still use your micro fibre cloth .and me,,- i know what i will use . Above all the normal leather chamois is nothing like the Autoglym synthetic i talk about . Those cows leathers went out in 1980

I think I am using what is synthetic leather, its by a brand called ArmorAll. I had it for a few years and I think its now lost its effectiveness so hence looking for an alternativw.

Best option is to get yourself a DI vessel and rinse the car with 0ppm water. You can then just let it air dry - with no spots, streaks or water marks and no risk of scratching.

Autoglym is the only one .
Halfords is the place to pick one up from .,They come in a see through box mine was a square box but they may have changed them now. Buy one , try it, if you dont like, then it i will give you your cash back after you post it to me [i need another ] i have 4 now another wont take any space up./. I do get extra ones because, i dont want to be without one anymore .

For me you cant beat Costco's yellow microfibre cloths, about £14 for 30. Oh and Ive been told to NEVER use a chamois leather to dry a car as any trapped dirt scratches your car. None of the expensive car detailers use them.

Well i will tell you this is not a leather .When your are as old as i am ,then you will know a little bit about car cleaning .Half the car owners dont clean their own cars ..But leave it at the car wash and pick it up after its been scratched to bits all over .. A friend came to see us the other day ,when she went we all went outside to say good bye. She said i need to clean my car .What polish do you use to my wife. At that she went in to the house and came out with this polish .And went about showing her how it shone after it was cleaned . I thought it would come up better so i had a go at it . And i know then that she never cleans her car . I told her that you use the car wash dont you .And she said yes how did you know .I said its sratched all over you can see it .To that she said yes i know

The thing is, synthetic or natural chamois they still pose the same problem of having zero pile to them. They don't trap any dirt but will drag it across the surface of the car. I don't doubt their ability to absorb water, I used a sythentic chamois for a long time before moving to waffle weave and microfibre towels. The towels are safer on bodywork as it minimises the risk of scratches.

Similar thing to those drying blades you can use. They do a cracking job of getting the water off your car but they will also drag any grit/dirt that may be lurking right across your paintwork.

When I say they'll scratch, I don't mean to the scale of a key mark but swirl marks and random minor marks. It's the same reason it's best to avoid washing with a sponge and using a quality wash mitt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom