Best engine oil for 124 300ce24v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoothcoupe

Car
MERCEDES E55K-2001 AUDI S8-MERCEDES 300CE 24V SPORTLINE
I have a 300ce24 with 180,000 miles. It runs smoothly. What grade and make of oil would be recommended. I dont mind spending top money for top oil.

Engine oil

I have a 300ce24 with 180,000 miles. It runs smoothly. What grade and make of oil would be recommended. I dont mind spending top money for top oil.

When I got my 300CE-24 from Mercedes with 135K KMs on the clock and 12 month MB warranty, it had fully synthetic 5W/40 oil. MB continued to put that in and so have I since it's been serviced locally.

It's now done 370K KMs and the engine seems fine.

RayH

you might be pleasantly surprised with the oil spec at Tesco Extra stores.

very competitive price for fully synthetic, and the spec is suitable for your generation car.

When I got my 300CE-24 from Mercedes with 135K KMs on the clock and 12 month MB warranty, it had fully synthetic 5W/40 oil. MB continued to put that in and so have I since it's been serviced locally.

It's now done 370K KMs and the engine seems fine.

RayH

RAY do you use the 9,000 miles service interval?

I SWEAR by Motul 300V. I use 15W/50 competition oil. I said in a thread a while ago that I ran my Mitsubishi FTO on it and it's still going with 220k miles on the clock, original engine, head has never been off.

I buy from Camskill as they're local to me.

My oil of preference for a 300-24 is Millers XSS 10w/40

Service intervals

RAY do you use the 9,000 miles service interval?

No, I try to stick to the 10,000 Km oil change intervals (6000 mile?). Sometimes I've gone significantly over this but I'm not overly worried as most of my mileage is long-distance stuff. Usually the oil still retains some of it's 'golden' appearance so I sort of assume that this bodes well.

Having said that, I do recall that I got the interval info from the handbook from an earlier (M103) car. Anyway, my local garage always puts a ticket on the car after the oil change giving 10K Kms as the next change point.

Bonne chance.

RayH

Last edited:
I've been told 5-40 is fine, and it's what mine's always been run on from the service book. Semi-synthetic. However, I've also ready that with the M104 engine it's best to change the oil every 3k. Is this overkill as far as everyone's concerned? I'd never leave dark / dirty oil in it as far as I'm concerned - looking inside the filler flap all is golden and clean as a whistle - and this is the way I want to keep it if it's going to stack up mega miles over the next decade or so - as it probably will :0)

I would have thought fully synthetic Mobil 1 will p!ss out of it's seams as it's too thin?

Every 3k is overkill for normal running. The colour of the oil is a good indicator- still all golden colour means everything is fine-its only when it starts to noticeably darken you want to review the situation. I routinely change the oil+ filter every 6,000 miles myself with a 10w40 semi-synthetic--- using a thinner 5w40 fully synthetic http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/New-Fuchs/TITAN-SUPERSYN-SAE-5W-40.pdf you could usefully extend this to 9,000 miles if most of your journeys are warm engine/ long distance in nature

Cheers Grober. I think I'll stick to the clean oil and up to 6k principle with semi-synthetic - should be fine and also won't cost the earth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom