Best Engine oil for w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi all,

As title, whats the best engine oil for an e270 cdi w211, the light hasnt come on yet, but its been a while since it was last serviced, and still another 9k before it gets its next, so thought it would be good to drain current oil and put some brand new quality stuff in.

Also, any reccoendations on where to buy?

Thanks,

Digi

I think Mercedes recommend Mobil 1.........

Assuming that your engine is to EU3 emissions spec there are two Mercedes Benz oil specifications MB229.3 and MB229.5. Mobil 1 meets both of those.

MB229.5 is the spec for long life oil. If you intend running with much shorter oil change intervals you may well find that oil meeting spec MB229.3 will give you everything you want.

If you search the forum, you will find, not surprisingly, quite a spread of opinion on which is the best oil. Read what is said and make your own decision. You're unlikely to get into trouble with any of them.

Hi,

Posted by W124Coupe (in reply to a similar question from myself).

You can bulk purchase (4 x 4 ltrs) Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 (MB sheet 229.51) from

http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=item&id=444

Cost for 16 ltrs is (approx) £103.50 + VAT + £13.50 postage i.e. £135 (= £8.45 per litre). I'm sure this is significantly cheaper than that supplied (in 1 ltr quantities) by MB Dealers.

Cheers,

Dieter said:
Hi,

Posted by W124Coupe (in reply to a similar question from myself).

You can bulk purchase (4 x 4 ltrs) Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 (MB sheet 229.51) from

http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=item&id=444

Cost for 16 ltrs is (approx) £103.50 + VAT + £13.50 postage i.e. £135 (= £8.45 per litre). I'm sure this is significantly cheaper than that supplied (in 1 ltr quantities) by MB Dealers.

Cheers,

As it will only use 1 litre per 10000 miles, hardly worth buying too much. First service will be about 16/1700 so you will need some. Second and subsequent services are about 10/12000 so you might not.:rolleyes:

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is fine but I use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w-40 (MB229.5) Like you do interim changes: not doing many miles right now so time in as well as miles is a big factor.

Also use a Pela oil extractor & suck it out via the dipstick tube. Not that I have a dipstick to dip into my dipstick tube of course (which is handily located under an engine cover) but it is the thought that counts.

Yes, yes I know a "benefit of the Holy Oil Drain versus Evil Suck It Out method" thread looms but beats grovelling on the ground.

Need some care here!

The 229.3/5 oils are NOT suitable for the later cars needing the 229.x1 (low ash) spec needed for the DPF. Needless to say, the .x1 oil is more ££££s.

The Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 was the only 229.51 I could find easily when I wanted to supply my own for the 1st service (Halfords still don't stock one around where I live) - the pack of 4x4L covers two services and saves just under £120 versus using Merc's standard (229.31) at the service and is long-life instead of standard.

I haven't needed any topup yet (23,000 miles and counting).

Always best to check the manual for your own car and get the right type....

Mobil 1 Oil

w124coupe said:
Need some care here!

The 229.3/5 oils are NOT suitable for the later cars needing the 229.x1 (low ash) spec needed for the DPF. Needless to say, the .x1 oil is more ££££s.

The Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 was the only 229.51 I could find easily when I wanted to supply my own for the 1st service (Halfords still don't stock one around where I live) - the pack of 4x4L covers two services and saves just under £120 versus using Merc's standard (229.31) at the service and is long-life instead of standard.

I haven't needed any topup yet (23,000 miles and counting).

Always best to check the manual for your own car and get the right type....

Mobil 1 can be purchased from Costco in Reading for £20.00 for 4 litres, that's £18.00 less than Halfords or other local factors :bannana: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom