Best Fish and Chip Shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

Having just seen Bobby Dazzler's thread on Fish and Chip shops, got me thinking, it would interesting to create a directory of good Fish and Chip shops around the country.

I think unlike some foods like Curry, where people tastes differ so much, that one persons favourite curry house may not even get on the radar for another person. Good fish and chips is a simple food but too often its done badly, but when right is just lovely.

So my starter is the "The Lighthouse" in Wanstead high street, London E11, a traditional fish bar.
Another that I like is "Ark Fish Restaurant" in South Woodford, London E18, which is a relatively posh restaurant, rather than a traditional take-away.

The "George's" chain in the Midlands are very good, but quite ludicrously expensive, so I'll nominate The Plaice, Market Square in my home town of Storrington West Sussex, absolutely superb!

The Red Herring in Green Street, Sunbury.

Take away only and a little on the pricey side, but huge portions and very tasty.

The West Cross Inn.
West Cross.
Nice

Upon reflection I think the correct answer is probably the nearest at approximately 1pm

International chippy in Rochdale. Sh!t place but great fish and chips

they are best where the fish is freshest

The fish 'n' chip shops down here are literally on the fish quay and they all use frozen fish. One of them was even selling Panga, farmed in the far east, as fresh cod :doh:

Trencher's ... Opposite the station in Whitby ... As good as the Magpie.

The Mermaid on Britannia Road, Morley, Near Leeds

The Kingfisher on Denby Dale Road ... Just off M1 Jn. 39

They are our 3 favourites ... All restaurant and take-away.

The Bull Inn, Fernhill Heath, Worcester. A pub with it's own chippy attached! Top idea, fella! And it's the mutt's nuts. Delicious. :thumb:

A close second - Pete's Plaice, St Johns, Worcs. Walloping great portions, very tasty :)

another vote for the mermaid ! i used to frequent it a few years ago:thumb:
never been to Brians in headingley but its legendary

I think unlike some foods like Curry, where people tastes differ so much, that one persons favourite curry house may not even get on the radar for another person. Good fish and chips is a simple food but too often its done badly, but when right is just lovely.
Soft chips or crispy chips? Some people love softer chips and some love crispy ones!

Soft chips or crispy chips? Some people love softer chips and some love crispy ones!

This is exactly my own take on this, one mans best chip is another mans, well not so good, personally, I like greasy soft chips, cannot be doing with crispy chips!
My own preference seems to be very much effected by the type of potato that is in the chipping system at the time, so I seaonally have to pig out when the right vareity arrives at the local F&C shop, August seems to be a good time for me..

The key questions:

Skin on or off?
Fried in vegetable oil or beef dripping?
Lousy overpriced southern or proper northern?

Gentlemen, I think we all know the answers.

The Mayflower Leigh on sea , chip shop with a pub attached.. yum

You should try the Wetherby Whaler off Denby Dale Rd. (near car dealerships on way to Wakefield)

What am I thinking !!! :doh:

My mother makes the best fish and chips AND it's free.

Plus there's free beer in the fridge. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom