Best Fish and Chip Shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a Chippy on James Street Kimberley that up till recently used to be good but the best fish & chips I have had in the area have been from The Wise Eater, Nottingham Road, Seston, Notts.
Nice big chips, Fish (haddock) that was as good as you can get away from the coast.

Georges seem to be very hit & miss to me.

I would like to know some in areas (Nott,s Derbyshire, South Yorkshire) that are good for a drive out and a walk for the dog.

Steve

There's a chip shop in the town square in Ashbourne, and I seem to remember they were pretty good too.

I usually stop off at the Old Town Friar in London End, Beaconsfield when picking my car up from Hughes.

Also can't go wrong with the Golden Hind in Marylebone Lane.

Queensway Fish Bar in Queensway, Banbury, is on a housing estate in a small parade of shops (with one of the few remaining small motorists' shops) just off the Queensway dual carriageway. Excellent chips, cod and haddock and very customer friendly. The other week the young staff were urging an elderly regular newly released from hospital to call them if he needed anything at all doing. Only slightly less good but easier to find is the Warwick Road chip shop by the double mini roundabout set up on the northern exit of the town. Tattoo parlour a few doors down too!

Ken's Fish Bar in Dulwich never let me down when it was my local fish & chip shop.

Newtown fish & kebab house stourport on severn ;)

Newtown fish & kebab house stourport on severn ;)

I assume that's your plaice (i couldn't resist) - I didn't realise you were in the 'family business' too.

I spent many of my childhood weekends and school holidays at Lickhill Manor, and learned to ride my bike down the steep path at Memorial Park, and sometimes we go back for a 'ride out'.

We usually go to Merchants (or more recently the C o c k next door), but I'll maybe call in and say hello next time we're there.

On the look out for new premises as I've sold the lease to mine (lechlade), helping brother in law out in stourport the meantime!

The Red Herring in Green Street, Sunbury.

Take away only and a little on the pricey side, but huge portions and very tasty.

Went there yesterday. :D as mentioned very expensive, but the food was really nice. while waiting we, the customers were moved on by the police for parking on a yellow line outside. :(

The Fish Club in Clapham High street London.

Pricey but excellent

The Fish Club | Home

Just home from a wet day at the new Glasgow Tranport Museum so my vote goes to their restaurant. That's the bestest fish and chips and pot of tea I've had for a long time and I include the Anstruther chippie and the Magpie @ Whitby for comparison.

Harry Ramsden's Guiseley, Leeds.

R.I.P

The Red Herring in Green Street, Sunbury.

Take away only and a little on the pricey side, but huge portions and very tasty.

Went there yesterday. :D as mentioned very expensive, but the food was really nice. while waiting we, the customers were moved on by the police for parking on a yellow line outside. :(

That's the one by the Three fishes pub my wife and I use to get take away in the summer time, Good fish and chips :thumb:

If you ever spend your vacation at Sandbanks in Poole, the best fish and chips can be found at Parkway Fish Bar‎, 113 Parkstone Road, Poole, BH15 2PB
(01202 740 740).

There's a wide variety of fish on offer, freshly landed at local port.

Hear, hear

Holiday selection

Squires of Churston, Dartmouth Road, Churston (between Paignton and Brixham)
Restaurant too

Simpy Fish, Fore Street, Brixham (but it's actually overlooking the harbour)
Posh fish restaurant but very small if you want to eat in

Rick Stein's are good in Padstow, despite what the neighsayers, er say.

I'll second Simply Fish at Brixham. Recently spent two nights while touring down there and dropped in for a take-away on the second night for one of the best I've had outside Anstruther (also seconded). A couple of fish we'd never heard of were on the menu. Turn right along the harbour and there are loads of benches (and waste bins) for al fresco dining.

Dads Lane, Birmingham

I love good fish and chips. Which is a pity, because nowhere near me seems to be able to do them!

The problem is exacerbated by regular visits to the Yorkshire Dales, and in particular Sedbergh, which has an absolutely excellent chippy. The one in Hawes is pretty good too, but not a patch on Sedbergh. There is another one just off the market square in Kirkby Lonsdale, very nice but expensive.

So were can I go in NG16 (and surrounding areas)? Presently I go to George's, and Crest of the Wave in Heanor. Both are quite good, but a bit of a trek to get to.

York Street fish and chip shop, Barrow-in-Furness
The Little Chippy, Winderemere
The Seashell in Lisson Grove (been 20 years since I was there but it was good back then!)
Difficult to go wrong in Yorkshire for Fish and Chips (as much as it pains me to say it!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom