BEST FREE car check app or website?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trillion

Car
320 cdi soon
I'm currently using two apps for checking cars for FREE "totalcarcheck" and the "Autotrader"
totalcarcheck does old MOT history and tells you if its stolen(the government should really do this)
and if you pretend to advertise a car on the Autotrader app it tells you if its been written off.;)

Anyone know anything better?

A paid for Hpi check.

But you can end up paying for a check and then not buying the car.
It sticks in my throat that the trade pay something like £3-£4 for a check as well.
They should be FREE via the government!
I can remember checking out a 911 with HPI in the early 90's for £40.:eek:
Three weeks after I bought the car they sent me another pack out saying OOooops! We have found this under another registration number for it.

I know there is the insurance aspect to it but I wouldn't want to try that out,insurance of any kind being what it is.
I do ultimately HPI anything over £1000 with the RAC. Though the last time I used them they never knew the car had been in a crash until I took the car for an MOT and it was discovered that one of the headlamps although brand new was the wrong hand.
I rang the previous pensioner owner to discover it had been crashed and repaired through insurance but nothing came up on the search. I even found broken glass under the spare wheel so it must have been a hell of a smash and ALL went unrecorded. :dk:
As I was saying FREE please?:p

Last edited:
But you can end up paying for a check and then not buying the car.
It sticks in my throat that the trade pay something like £3-£4 for a check as well.
They should be FREE via the government!
As I was saying FREE please?:p

Car traders use HPI a lot so of course they get a discount, you would if you bought several searches, that is just market economics and who do you think funds the Government?

Still think that would be "free"?:wallbash:

Last edited:
and who do you think funds the Government?

Still think that would be "free"?:wallbash:
As to who do I think pays for it,must be you because its not me.

When you can check a cars MOT history on a government website but they don't tell you if its stolen then its ridiculous.
There should also be a database of banned drivers that the public can access so you can grass up a neighbour.
It seems to me they are deliberate loopholes for criminals.
Got me started now!:p

As to who do I think pays for it,must be you because its not me.

When you can check a cars MOT history on a government website but they don't tell you if its stolen then its ridiculous.
There should also be a database of banned drivers that the public can access so you can grass up a neighbour.
It seems to me they are deliberate loopholes for criminals.
Got me started now!:p

Assuming you pay tax (and leaving salary etc aside, you do on goods, services etc ) you, like most of us, contribute to the Government so your free checks would be funded by the public purse that you provide funds for!

As to the rest of your post, I am sure someone will be along shortly with a calming glass of warm milk .:D

What TAX I pay I get back.But its off topic and irrelevant to my original question.

You pay tax on goods, food ,services etc, you do not get that back ergo you pay so my point that Government funded services are not "free" is still perfectly valid.

If you don't pay any income tax, either you have a very good accountant, or you work abroad, or you tell fibs, or you should seriously consider whether you can afford to run a Merc...

If there was one, I think we'd all know about it

Typical example here:-
I found a low mileage Merc this week,it looked really good.Passed my first test of "how long have you had it please?" this tells me if he's trade or bought a lemon a few weeks earlier.
Now paying for an HPI test the next step would be to go view the car.
Walk around it in circles chased by the owner then out for a spin in it. Price agreed then HPI.

But using my free apps whilst still sat on my sofa the slightly overpriced Merc turns out to be a CAT"C" write off. This is why FREE is best. I messaged the owner and said "do you know this is a cat c write-off".He replied "yes that's why its so cheap".It was £500 over the book price. If he's not telling anyone its cat c what else is he not telling you.

Typical example here:-
I found a low mileage Merc this week,it looked really good.Passed my first test of "how long have you had it please?" this tells me if he's trade or bought a lemon a few weeks earlier.
Now paying for an HPI test the next step would be to go view the car.
Walk around it in circles chased by the owner then out for a spin in it. Price agreed then HPI.

But using my free apps whilst still sat on my sofa the slightly overpriced Merc turns out to be a CAT"C" write off. This is why FREE is best. I messaged the owner and said "do you know this is a cat c write-off".He replied "yes that's why its so cheap".It was £500 over the book price. If he's not telling anyone its cat c what else is he not telling you.

I use the MyCarCheck" App. t then uses in app purchases for various other checks (as is standard these days) It does give you the basic info though.

There is no "utopia" with car buying. I speak with to many years experience and many great friends who are in the trade.

HPI has run it's course. I am still surprised at how many believe that asking a trader for an HPI satisfies them that all is good? Why not just ask if it is a nice car? It is as valid as an MOT certificate for ascertaining the quality of a used car.

There is no substitute for leg work and homework, a pair of overalls and some cardboard to knee & lie on. Buying from owners forums can also be a good start as "most" members are enthusiasts who know the score and actually do have some conscience.

I use the MyCarCheck" App. t then uses in app purchases for various other checks (as is standard these days) It does give you the basic info though.

There is no "utopia" with car buying. I speak with to many years experience and many great friends who are in the trade.

HPI has run it's course. I am still surprised at how many believe that asking a trader for an HPI satisfies them that all is good? Why not just ask if it is a nice car? It is as valid as an MOT certificate for ascertaining the quality of a used car.

There is no substitute for leg work and homework, a pair of overalls and some cardboard to knee & lie on. Buying from owners forums can also be a good start as "most" members are enthusiasts who know the score and actually do have some conscience.

Thanks Bruce!

It just shows that you may explain something to someone but you cannot understand it for them. :D

Thanks Bruce!

It just shows that you may explain something to someone but you cannot understand it for them. :D

:rolleyes: Carry on throwing your £15 away and paying your TAX. Be a good consumer.;) Pat on head here's that milk you spoke of.:p

Your free apps seem to be better (for you) than the paid ones so why not stick to it?

Your free apps seem to be better (for you) than the paid ones so why not stick to it?
I just wondered if there was a better one I hadn't come across but it seems I'm scorned for not wanting to throw money away unnecessarily.:dk:
I don't know, bit of a funny carry on!
Hope what I'm currently using has helped others anyway.
Combined with this:-
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
they cover all but outstanding finance,but even HPI does not cover "logbook loans". It is a mine field out there.:(

:rolleyes: Carry on throwing your £15 away and paying your TAX. Be a good consumer.;) Pat on head here's that milk you spoke of.:p

You pay tax as I have pointed out to you, I cannot make it much simpler for you to understand but le t me try. You buy fuel , you pay TAX as Excise Duty to the Government on that ........:doh:

Last edited:
You pay tax as I have pointed out to you, I cannot make it much simpler for you to understand but le t me try you buy fuel , you pay TAX as Excise Duty to the Government on that ........:doh:
I won't say what my circumstances are but let me tell you my neighbours.
The Doctor who lives opposite me is self employed and his earnings last year totalled just over £10k so he didn't pay any TAX. I know this because I looked his company up(for FREE):D;)

But to get back on topic it would cost the government next to nothing to put on that MOT check site that the vehicle was stolen or subject to an "ownership dispute".
I think I'm being quite reasonable in thinking this. :dk:

Income Tax, maybe not. VAT on everyday food, yes. It's still Tax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom