Best internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robby122

Car
C63 Coupe PPP (Red)
Hey guys little off topic subject.

I currently have Virgin top broadband 200MB but in evenings it struggles to manage when everyone home with wifi games console etc.

What would be better alternative ok I wont get 200MB but at least I can browse web easily.

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend Plusnet.

This sounds nuts but we get decent speed, 50m, but the quality seems shonky. It may not make technical sense but since we changed from BT the internet seems to have got rubbish.

I'd stay with Virgin, we'd have it again in a flash if it was available here.

I have the same Virgin 200Mb/s and had the same issue as you. It's just your local contention ratio is strangling you when it's in peak usage times.

I used to get close to 200Mb/s down in the early hours, but as low as 20Mb/s during peak times.

I kept complaining and they came out and sorted it at the exchange. I'm not sure what or how they did it, but they clearly reduced the number of people sharing my connection.

I now get almost 200Mb/s at all times and have even had over that, up to 212.

This sounds nuts but we get decent speed, 50m, but the quality seems shonky. It may not make technical sense but since we changed from BT the internet seems to have got rubbish.

You might have around 50Mb/s of overall throughput, averaged out, but it could be very erratic. Downloading a big file could come in reasonably fast, but web pages would be sluggish as the hundreds of tiny requests they make are all loading erratically and inconsistently.

I have the same Virgin 200Mb/s and had the same issue as you. It's just your local contention ratio is strangling you when it's in peak usage times.

I used to get close to 200Mb/s down in the early hours, but as low as 20Mb/s during peak times.

I kept complaining and they came out and sorted it at the exchange. I'm not sure what or how they did it, but they clearly reduced the number of people sharing my connection.

I now get almost 200Mb/s at all times and have even had over that, up to 212.
I called them keep saying they doing maintenance work but they been saying that for two months, Im not thinking of "upgrading" to their no data mangement service.

Im paying close to £75 already for just phone and broadband I feel like im being ripped off, never works properly.

You might have around 50Mb/s of overall throughput, averaged out, but it could be very erratic. Downloading a big file could come in reasonably fast, but web pages would be sluggish as the hundreds of tiny requests they make are all loading erratically and inconsistently.

Might as well be in Welsh. :eek:

BT broadband Infinity here, consistent 50-60Mb/s download whatever the time of day. Rock solid WiFi connection throughout the house and garden.

Only thing I noticed was a strange 'twittering' from the router when streaming UHD films over the WiFi. Cabled up the tv and all is silent again.

Thoroughly recommended

We have Virgin fibre at home - far better than the BT fibre we used to have. We still find some sites are slow to load, but I think that this is more a problem at the server end than at our end.

At work we have a private fibre optic line - consistently over 250Mbps - these same few sites are slow even on that connection even if I'm the only one in the office!

The only problem we found was that the new Virgin hub can't be seen by our Canary home cctv which needs 2.4 ghz - got round this by adding another (older) wireless hub.

Last edited:
Might as well be in Welsh. :eek:

If you're downloading a large file, like an episode of Dad's Army, then it doesn't matter if the connection is going "fast, slow, fast, slow" a dozen times a second, as so long as the average of the two extremes is faster than you're watching the show, it'll be fine.

Web pages load hundreds of small files from lots of different servers, and some elements of the page are reliant on other resources having been downloaded. If the connection is fast when one part takes place, but then the connection dips while loading other parts, like images for the page, so it'll look and feel slow for regular browsing.

In that case you'd be better with a slower, but more consistent connection.

You might have used speedtest.net, which tests throughput, but Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test will test for packet loss and erratic, unstable connections.

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend Plusnet.

Agree they've had their problems recently, though some of that was BT's network outages, but dependant on what you do with the internet you'll do well to better them.

Suffice to say, sites that have been locked out in Britain by all the players are only locked on PlusNet's DNS so swap to Google's and it's all still there. No need to pay more for VPNs and the like that you would with the other companies.

BT Infinity is fibre but only from the exchange to the street junction box. From there on it's cable. Would it be the same with Virgin?

My virgin WiFi keeps going off and on, on my tablet, so what's going off??

Your WiFi, apparently.... :devil:

Just had long conversation with virgin over the phone was having same issue they said its not wifi its modem not getting connection due to "issues which engeringer is going to fix by tomorrow" yea right.

They will send me new super hub 3 and upgraded my package to 200MB gamer something bascially they wont data manage my account now.

Virgin is fibre to their street box then co-axial into the house. Their newer VIVID 200 Mbyte service apparently uses heavier duty/higher quality co-axial cable and a DOCSIS 3 router But its possible existing users did not necessarily get the necessary hardware /router/router software upgrade if they were upgraded for free ??
Internet broadband speeds from Virgin Media | Virgin Media

and

DOCSIS 2 vs. DOCSIS 3 differences | Answer | NETGEAR Support

quote :-
Changing to a DOCSIS 3 capable modem isn't going to change your maximum speed up, down or sideways, only subscribing to an upgraded tier will. However, DOCSIS 3 has the ability to use multiple downstream and upstream channels at the same time (channel bonding) to maintain the maximum possible speed. Because of this, DOCSIS 3 may experience less of a speed drop during peak usage hours vs. a DOCSIS 2 modem. The D3 modem, depending on how new it is and how many channels the ISP makes available, has access to 2x-8x more bandwidth than a D2 modem, allowing for a somewhat more consistent connection. :dk:

Another one for BT infinity...we have loads of devices and it works well, obviously it all depends on your location.

The only issue is that it goes off now and again but only for a few mins...+ you get BT sport for free:D

I have BT infinity 2, it's good and reliable but expensive.

Just got a letter through today, Virgin putting my bill up £3.49 a month :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom