Votes: 1 1.0%
  • GT

Votes: 21 21.4%

Votes: 25 25.5%

Votes: 44 44.9%

Votes: 5 5.1%

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The GT is my dream car, so that in my opinion is the best looking. The C63 coupe is not far behind.

We're all biased because we're all petrol heads and we love our cars and of course we ALL have good taste. I'm plainly biased but I do think the original R230 SL55 AMG (2002 - 2007) is one of timeless appeal compared with later incarnations and one of the best looking production Merc's ever produced to date - they sort of got it spot-on first time and it was all downhill thereafter ;). The whole 203 was very homogenous and the design flowed externally and internally with a design theme that stitched it all together and I believe it will stand the test of time. To me the later and normally aspirated SL63 model had a front-end treatment that seemed to be an 'anything will do to make it different' approach and that treatment and resembled Bubber Gump (sorry Bubber); then there's the R231 ?!. A well refined and superb vehicle it remains with technical and dynamic improvements but we are talking about 'styling' ... It has a bulbous protruding front-end that doesn't quite work and looks like it's been grafted on from an old 1950's W121, a back-end like Kim Kardashian, it's curvy and all sticks out (sorry Kim) and an interior that wouldn't be out of place in Mel's Diner. That's progress I suppose and no doubt it has fans but I don't feel it's a looker in the same way as an R230 nor do I feel it will stand the test of time like the R230 :). Dales SL55 AMG 2017.png

Last edited:
It sure does, that's a lovely and iconic car ! it's not as pretty though - but then again its not apples for apples but I could still stare and drool for a while.. :p

I like lots of AMGs models from the ultimate SEC right up to the W212 E63, with E55K, SL55, W211 E63, CL63/65, W221 S65 in between. There are probably others.

@DaleGM - interesting you have an Alpina D10. I liked the idea of them but I don't think we got them over here - is it a left hooker?

I had a 2001 B10 V8 well over a decade ago now.

Hi John, yes it is, and as you are probably aware they only made it in LHD as it wasn't for the UK market (the turbo location wouldn't allow a RHD steering column) - great car and VERY rare in the UK (about four over here). Mine is very spec'd up including double glazing. I'm looking to sell it in the New Year as I want a 500E (W124 92/93 year model). I've had two in the past at various times but sold them both for different reasons, I think they're great and I like rare and well engineered cars.

Last edited:
I was somewhat sure LHD only but I didn't know if they made RHD versions for other markets than the UK. That confirms not, though.

I never had double-glazing on my B10, although I knew it was an option on at least the 540, but my current CL has it so I know what I was missing out on!

We're all biased because we're all petrol heads and we love our cars and of course we ALL have good taste. I'm plainly biased but I do think the original R230 SL55 AMG (2002 - 2007) is one of timeless appeal compared with later incarnations and one of the best looking production Merc's ever produced to date - they sort of got it spot-on first time and it was all downhill thereafter ;). The whole 203 was very homogenous and the design flowed externally and internally with a design theme that stitched it all together and I believe it will stand the test of time. To me the later and normally aspirated SL63 model had a front-end treatment that seemed to be an 'anything will do to make it different' approach and that treatment and resembled Bubber Gump (sorry Bubber); then there's the R231 ?!. A well refined and superb vehicle it remains with technical and dynamic improvements but we are talking about 'styling' ... It has a bulbous protruding front-end that doesn't quite work and looks like it's been grafted on from an old 1950's W121, a back-end like Kim Kardashian, it's curvy and all sticks out (sorry Kim) and an interior that wouldn't be out of place in Mel's Diner. That's progress I suppose and no doubt it has fans but I don't feel it's a looker in the same way as an R230 nor do I feel it will stand the test of time like the R230 :). View attachment 73805
Love the SL55 but not those alloys ;)

Love the SL55 but not those alloys ;)
Hi there CLK and a happy new year. That's an interesting comment as over time I've seen many comments about the V22 alloys, some people love 'em, some don't and some are indifferent. I had the 5 spoke version on my SL500 which I really liked also and was a bit torn between the two, I do however prefer an 18" diam wheel as I feel the profile of the tyre suits the car well. I know it's a subjective thing but out of interest what is it about the alloys you don't like or find irksome.

I'm not keen on the turbines either.

I actually did like the Alpina wheels although they were a pain to clean!

These just look like a poorer cousin to me or the kind of entry-level wheels you get on a Merc.

Much prefer less spokes.

Hi there CLK and a happy new year. That's an interesting comment as over time I've seen many comments about the V22 alloys, some people love 'em, some don't and some are indifferent. I had the 5 spoke version on my SL500 which I really liked also and was a bit torn between the two, I do however prefer an 18" diam wheel as I feel the profile of the tyre suits the car well. I know it's a subjective thing but out of interest what is it about the alloys you don't like or find irksome.

Hi mate,

Didn’t mean that in a rude way :) I just prefer AMG 5 spokes or something a bit more clean. Show off the massive Calipers and discs too :D

Cheers

Hi mate,

Didn’t mean that in a rude way :) I just prefer AMG 5 spokes or something a bit more clean. Show off the massive Calipers and discs too :D

Cheers
Sure, no offence at all taken, we all have our preferences and 5 spoker's are indeed tasty. I thought they might be a pain to keep clean but these and the Alpina wheels are actually a doddle, the crap falls off them easy, I do however clean them regularly before any crap build up or starts to stick to them as in that case they could be tiresome - hence the incentive for a regular clean. I suppose I like the V22 alloys as I'd always really liked the Mercedes CLK GTR supercar which they produced and the V22's are effectively the same. I will also admit that besides the 5 spoker's I have scant desire to molest such a car with non-standard wheels and tyres as I generally like a car original and as produced ;)

cf7382feeeea70d33b6ef25cbb4facb3.jpg

I still love the W211 E55 for looks.

We're all biased because we're all petrol heads and we love our cars and of course we ALL have good taste. I'm plainly biased but I do think the original R230 SL55 AMG (2002 - 2007) is one of timeless appeal compared with later incarnations and one of the best looking production Merc's ever produced to date - they sort of got it spot-on first time and it was all downhill thereafter ;). The whole 203 was very homogenous and the design flowed externally and internally with a design theme that stitched it all together and I believe it will stand the test of time. To me the later and normally aspirated SL63 model had a front-end treatment that seemed to be an 'anything will do to make it different' approach and that treatment and resembled Bubber Gump (sorry Bubber); then there's the R231 ?!. A well refined and superb vehicle it remains with technical and dynamic improvements but we are talking about 'styling' ... It has a bulbous protruding front-end that doesn't quite work and looks like it's been grafted on from an old 1950's W121, a back-end like Kim Kardashian, it's curvy and all sticks out (sorry Kim) and an interior that wouldn't be out of place in Mel's Diner. That's progress I suppose and no doubt it has fans but I don't feel it's a looker in the same way as an R230 nor do I feel it will stand the test of time like the R230 :). View attachment 73805

A good friend of mine had one of those in black with a red leather interior, when he started it up it sounded fantastic, like something that should have been powering a WW2 fighter plane, British or German

IMG_1301.JPG

Spotted this today and can't help thinking this is such a great looking car and the silver and black really does it justice, one of the best combinations IMO. No matter what angle you look at the GT it looks perfect to me. It's a MK1 and I think the grill looks much nicer on these than the MK2 but others folk will have a different view. Now do I mortgage the house and spend the kids inheritance? ;)

Love the colour combo too, and the black pano roof, but then I would - wouldn't I :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom