best MB CD player to fit in a 97 C class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

El Donkey

Car
C200 Sport 99, C320 sport 08, TVR chimaera, KTM 690
Not sure if best posted here or in technical,

My car has a none gen tape player so will change this for a Becker made CD player. I prefer Becker due to previous experience with Becker and alpine head units.

The question is which MB branded Becker unit should I look out for that will fit? I have no steering wheel.controls. I am looking for the best sound quality and ability to add an aux input.

Loads on Ebay but which model would fit my requirements best?

Thanks.

I presume your car is a late W203 ?

I am looking at replacing the standard fit Audio 10 in my 203 with something a bit more comprehensive . While I like the traditional Blaupunkt and Becker units which used to be supplied back in the 1950's and 1960's ( have one in my Ponton ) , I feel they lost their way somewhat around the 1970's and were left behind by the likes of Sony , Kenwood or Pioneer .

In the 1970's I had Pioneer units ( which at the time were also factory fit in Rolls-Royce ) in my W114/W115 cars .

Later , I have had high end Sony systems fitted in my various cars W123/W124/W126?W201 which far surpassed the factory offerings , both in performance and functionality . I am still running a system bought in the 1980's in my 500SEL , and have enough components up in the attic to build a similar system for my 280SE when I get round to putting it back on the road .

So far the front runner 9 for my W203 ) is the Sony XNV-770BT which is a double DIN unit with 7" screen , on board navigation by TomTom , bluetooth integration which will be compatible with my iPhone both for telephony and music playback , CD/DVD player , with the ability to fit a second monitor in the rear for DVD playback on the move ( to keep junior happy ) , support for a reversing camera , support for steering wheel integration .

Watch the video in the link below - it is an impressive unit .

LINK

I know there is a fascia adaptor for my pre-facelift W203 , don't know about the later cars ?

I have a few jobs to sort out on the car itself first , so this is planned for but further down the priority list .

Unless I wanted a COMAND unit , I see little point in the factory standard equipment , and , by all accounts , the TomTom navigation package is far better than the MB offering .

Last edited:
A 97 C-Class wouldbe a W202.

I'd get a Becker branded Becker, personal. Something like a Becker Mexico.

MB use re-branded Becker and Alpine units. For a W202 you won't want a W203/209 style unit as they have the curvey fascia/buttons. What you want is an early Audio 10 CD or even an Audio 30 APS - superb quality CD/tuner and has satnav functionality as a bonus if you need it :cool:

Or any Becker CD with orange illumination, something like a Mexico as BD mentions would be perfect too :)

I have a high end Sony in the CLK, single din but with 10 disc multichanger in the boot, changed it when I got the car as the MB original sound quality was not up to the mark but all my other cars have had upgraded Bose systems so may have been spoilt :D but this Sony is fantastic :thumb:

I had a Becker grand prix in a previous car which was wonderful, no Christmas tree lighting and lovely tone. Simple to use and a very clear hands free function.

I will keep an eye out for another but unfortunately they cannot be bought new now.

Prior to this I used to buy alpine units but after buying another at the time I found they seemed to have become over complicated with a drop in quality.

Cheers

What is the output on the MB 10 and 30's and do they need a code to work in another car? I assume this is just a normal code you enter rather something linked to the car on a 97 w202. The hang up with these is if a jack cannot be added for an mp3 player?

Duplicate post : got the wait 30 seconds message , then found my first attempt had worked after all !

There's a Mexico on eBay but he doesn't mention the illumination colour or model number. From memory Porsche is Amber, so if he bought it to match, then you may be in luck:

Becker Mexico Radio Stereo Player CD | eBay

We have a Mexico in our ML with iPod hookup. :thumb:

Duplicate!

But whilst I'm here, the units with red illumination should be OK - they're switchable to amber ;)

I have a high end Sony in the CLK, single din but with 10 disc multichanger in the boot, changed it when I got the car as the MB original sound quality was not up to the mark but all my other cars have had upgraded Bose systems so may have been spoilt :D but this Sony is fantastic :thumb:

Which model Sony please Ian and does it have Bluetooth?

If you can find a Becker Cascade or Cascade pro they are superb units. Have one in the 124. Sound is first rate. Bluetooth, satnav, ipod connection and the display has I think 13 colour options. They look very in keeping with the older MB fascias.

The instructions for our Mexico are at the outlaw's so I can't check. Have a pay in the settings.

Only the older Mexico's and Traffic Pro's can switch illumination, the newer units that don't allow you to reverse the LCD polarity don't have different colours.

The Cascade has lots of colours for display but the buttons are always white.

The yellow matches the Merc interior, the amber one was for BMW.

BMW Amber...
IMG_1684%20%5B50%25%5D.jpg

Mercedes Yellow (search becker gelb)...
Grand_Prix_Zoom_7990_gelb_1.jpg

Great units, but now very dated, the bluetooth is crap with the latest phones so limited address book, the ipod adapter is poor, no dab etc.

Such a shame they have not kept releasing stuff, great looking units that were just quality all round. But you have to really want the oem look to se them these days.

Things like the Pioneer 8300BT allows you to set the illumination as a perfect match, takes ipod, sd cards, has parrot bluetooth built in....

mvh-8300bt-main_medium.jpg

The Pioneer DEH-80PRS is just an amazing sounding head unit and looks about as subtle as you are going to get these days, you can set any colour you want on it too...

444278d1336960326-new-radio-reccomendations-img_2890.jpg

That is what I am going to put in my car after hearing it, just so nice sounding.

I have upgraded to a Becker Cascade Pro in my Porsche and now have a spare Becker Mexico Pro and an Indianapolis (not Pro) both with yellow illumination. Great units. If you're interested I can take some pics :)

I just fitted a Sony DAB head unit to SWMBO W124 and its superb. You can configure the colour of the display to match the colour of the rest of the car's internal illumination and its mainly black so doesnt look out of place.

The windscreen mounted DAB antenna seems really good too, also has IPOD connectivity via the USB port.

£99 from hellfrauds

Becker sound quality is noticeably better than most. If you want functionality look at sony etc, but if you won't use any of the features then I would stick with Becker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom