Best model to experience a Mercedes V8 engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had the car since December 2015, third owner from new MY 2006, 2005 Registered, bought with 69k miles, now has 102k miles on it.
It had MB History but was missing two services and had been serviced by Merc-Care.
I bought it and despite not requiring a service yet, I took it to PCS for a thorough check over and service, and has been serviced by PCS ever since.
I know somethings would be classed as reasonable to expect to have to replace/repair in the time frame I have had it, and some items possibly could have been left but I like things 110% correct, I dare say I have forgotten something.
Below is a list of parts issues I have had to address since buying it
All four front ball joints.
Engine mounts.
Gearbox Mount.
Charge Cooler Pump.
Both Front Airmatic Struts (failed at different times over approx three years).
Suspension Air Compressor (twice at different times).
Airmatic Relay (twice at different times).
SBC Pump.
Front Discs/Pads.
Rear Discs Pads.
Engine Water Pump.
Serpentine Belt.
Charger Belt (Twice).
Header Tank.
Rear Main Oil Seal.
Oil seals in the Oil filter housing for the Water/Oil Cooler.
Supercharger (Complete).
Supercharger Pulley.
Numerous engine pulleys.
Charger Belt Tensioner
Serpentine Belt Tensioner
Propshaft Rubber doughnut.
Secondary Air Injection Pump.
Air Valve (something to do with the Secondary Air Injection.
Gearbox Rebuild.
TV Tuner.
Rocker Cover Gasket replacement.
Spark Plug replacement (has been carried out twice now once when I bought it and second time in the first lockdown carried out by myself).
Spark plug leads.
Drivers side electric window switch pack.
Drivers side door window regulator.
Engine Cover (Due to the badge being missing).
One Fog Light.
Front Battery (Twice).
Rear Battery (Twice).
All eight electrical connector bodies for the Coil Packs.
😱😱 Sweet Moses, that's some list!

I have had the car since December 2015, third owner from new MY 2006, 2005 Registered, bought with 69k miles, now has 102k miles on it.
It had MB History but was missing two services and had been serviced by Merc-Care.
I bought it and despite not requiring a service yet, I took it to PCS for a thorough check over and service, and has been serviced by PCS ever since.
I know somethings would be classed as reasonable to expect to have to replace/repair in the time frame I have had it, and some items possibly could have been left but I like things 110% correct, I dare say I have forgotten something.
Engine mounts.
Gearbox Mount.
Charge Cooler Pump.
SBC Pump.
Front Discs/Pads.
Rear Discs Pads.
Engine Water Pump.
Serpentine Belt.
Charger Belt (Twice).
Header Tank.
Rear Main Oil Seal.
Supercharger (Complete).
Supercharger Pulley.
Numerous engine pulleys.
Charger Belt Tensioner
Gearbox Rebuild.
TV Tuner.
Spark Plug replacement (has been carried out twice now once when I bought it and second time in the first lockdown carried out by myself).
Spark plug leads.
One Fog Light.
Front Battery (Twice).
Rear Battery (Twice).
OK , that was the first week of ownership , what about week 2 ? :p :banana: . Sorry , couldn't resist. A fair few thing on there are 'normal' - I have done many of them on my M113 engine . But I get your point 👍

Engine mounts.
Gearbox Mount.
Charge Cooler Pump.
SBC Pump.
Front Discs/Pads.
Rear Discs Pads.
Engine Water Pump.
Serpentine Belt.
Charger Belt (Twice).
Header Tank.
Rear Main Oil Seal.
Supercharger (Complete).
Supercharger Pulley.
Numerous engine pulleys.
Charger Belt Tensioner
Gearbox Rebuild.
TV Tuner.
Spark plug leads.
One Fog Light.
Front Battery (Twice).
Rear Battery (Twice).

Wow, I thought I was throwing my wallet around for fun 🤣 I have to ask was most of this work done because it had/was failing or simply recommended to be replaced?

My list is quite small compared to yours. Although a few big ticket items were the SBC unit, airmatic pump, new rear wheel and only this week a new gear shifter. Other parts have been battery, tyres, disc and pads, alarm siren (it now chirps when you lock and unlock it 🤣:cool: ) and routine servicing.

I've owned this for 3 years and done about 5k miles in total. During this time I've also owned various other cars plus various motorbikes. I've spent more on the CLS than the others but to me it's been worth every penny. The cold start is the best soundtrack known to man, woman and beast. Yesterday I was offered £11k for it by a neighbour and declined it. Not sure if I'm mad or not but for that sort of money what else could you buy that does most of want I want.

I love a V8 and a V8 with a supercharger minus the secondary cats really do sound great to me.

OP, either an E/CLS 55AMG or a CLK55 :thumb:

Hi all,

Got my 2007 CLK280 little over a year ago and I really enjoy driving it -
Worked a bit on it in the first 2-3 months, full service tensioner/belt/plugs etc, wheels and new tyres, front arms, did a few improvements on the brakes, and replaced the electroplate + new transmission oil... but since then it's been running really well and I'm just kicking myself for not getting the v8 engine in the first place (the 3 litre v6 was already more than what I was looking for when I got it but now I'm interested in the v8)

I've looked at CLK500 since I'm already familiar with it and the CL500 (really like the interior of the C215).. what would you say?
And will it make a huge difference over the v6?

Cheers
w202 c43.

I’ve had an E55 and SL55 both great cars but go into it with your eyes open regarding the maintenance costs.

Wow, I thought I was throwing my wallet around for fun 🤣 I have to ask was most of this work done because it had/was failing or simply recommended to be replaced?

My list is quite small compared to yours. Although a few big ticket items were the SBC unit, airmatic pump, new rear wheel and only this week a new gear shifter. Other parts have been battery, tyres, disc and pads, alarm siren (it now chirps when you lock and unlock it 🤣:cool: ) and routine servicing.

I've owned this for 3 years and done about 5k miles in total. During this time I've also owned various other cars plus various motorbikes. I've spent more on the CLS than the others but to me it's been worth every penny. The cold start is the best soundtrack known to man, woman and beast. Yesterday I was offered £11k for it by a neighbour and declined it. Not sure if I'm mad or not but for that sort of money what else could you buy that does most of want I want.

I love a V8 and a V8 with a supercharger minus the secondary cats really do sound great to me.

OP, either an E/CLS 55AMG or a CLK55 :thumb:
Hi
I have made a comment against most of the issues I posted with you're question in mind.

• Upper ball joint on one side, and lower one on the other side, so decided to get them all replaced.
Engine mounts
  • One had collapsed totally the other was leaking oil.
Gearbox Mount.
  • No symptoms replaced as I was having the engine mounts replaced.
Charge Cooler Pump.
  • Failed
Both Front Airmatic Struts.
  • Failed at different times over approx three years).
  • One failed due to the leaking front strut and constantly running burning it out, the other just got weak and wouldn't lift the car , both genuine MB Items.
Airmatic Relay (twice at different times)
  • Recommended to be replaced when compressor is replaced.
SBC Pump
  • Failed
Front Discs/Pads.
  • Replaced due to low pads and lip on disc.
Rear Discs Pads.
  • As above.
Engine Water Pump.
  • Failed was leaking and noisy.
Serpentine Belt.
  • It had never been replaced, was slightly perished.
Charger Belt (Twice)
Header Tank.
  • Cracked where small pipe entered, was weeping coolant.
Rear Main Oil Seal.
  • Was weeping for two years but it had got slightly worse and was leaving oil spots on the drive.
  • Failed, Oil in Coolant.
Supercharger (Complete).
  • Wrongly diagnosed as being noisy by myself.
Supercharger Pulley.
  • Performance Pulley failed.
Numerous engine pulleys.
  • Bearings and general noise.
Charger Belt Tensioner.
  • Wasn't strictly required.
Serpentine Belt Tensioner.
  • Wasn't strictly required,
Prop shaft Rubber doughnut.
  • Picked up in a service that it was starting to split.
  • Failed.
Air Changeover Valve (something to do with the Secondary Air Injection).
  • This was replaced trying to eliminate the need to replace the far more expensive pump.
Gearbox Rebuild.
  • It developed a fault, where it would engage a gear for a few seconds, or you had to rev it up and then it would slam into gear, and occasional slipping in gear.
TV Tuner.
  • Didn't need to replace but I wanted working and a good second hand one came up cheap.
  • The top covers were weeping and needing re-sealing, additionally I wanted to tidy up the engine bay so painted the covers at the same time.
  • Replaced when I get the car, then replaced trying to track a rough idle, and they were about four - five years old.
Spark plug leads.
  • Replaced due to trying to track down a rough idle.
  • Failed.
  • Failed.
Engine Cover (Due to the badge being missing)
  • Not strictly required.
One Fog Light.
  • Original one was cracked.
Front Battery (Twice).
Rear Battery (Twice).
  • The original ones had gone very brittle some were worse than others could of probably got away with them but it bugged me, thinking that in the case of everyone the locking mechanism had snapped and they could all just pulled off.

Reactions: Nat
Hi all,

Got my 2007 CLK280 little over a year ago and I really enjoy driving it -
Worked a bit on it in the first 2-3 months, full service tensioner/belt/plugs etc, wheels and new tyres, front arms, did a few improvements on the brakes, and replaced the electroplate + new transmission oil... but since then it's been running really well and I'm just kicking myself for not getting the v8 engine in the first place (the 3 litre v6 was already more than what I was looking for when I got it but now I'm interested in the v8)

I've looked at CLK500 since I'm already familiar with it and the CL500 (really like the interior of the C215).. what would you say?
And will it make a huge difference over the v6?

After driving them all I go for the early c63

Hi
I have made a comment against most of the issues I posted with you're question in mind.

• Upper ball joint on one side, and lower one on the other side, so decided to get them all replaced.
Engine mounts
  • One had collapsed totally the other was leaking oil.
Gearbox Mount.
  • No symptoms replaced as I was having the engine mounts replaced.
Charge Cooler Pump.
  • Failed
Both Front Airmatic Struts.
  • Failed at different times over approx three years).
  • One failed due to the leaking front strut and constantly running burning it out, the other just got weak and wouldn't lift the car , both genuine MB Items.
Airmatic Relay (twice at different times)
  • Recommended to be replaced when compressor is replaced.
SBC Pump
  • Failed
Front Discs/Pads.
  • Replaced due to low pads and lip on disc.
Rear Discs Pads.
  • As above.
Engine Water Pump.
  • Failed was leaking and noisy.
Serpentine Belt.
  • It had never been replaced, was slightly perished.
Charger Belt (Twice)
Header Tank.
  • Cracked where small pipe entered, was weeping coolant.
Rear Main Oil Seal.
  • Was weeping for two years but it had got slightly worse and was leaving oil spots on the drive.
  • Failed, Oil in Coolant.
Supercharger (Complete).
  • Wrongly diagnosed as being noisy by myself.
Supercharger Pulley.
  • Performance Pulley failed.
Numerous engine pulleys.
  • Bearings and general noise.
Charger Belt Tensioner.
  • Wasn't strictly required.
Serpentine Belt Tensioner.
  • Wasn't strictly required,
Prop shaft Rubber doughnut.
  • Picked up in a service that it was starting to split.
  • Failed.
Air Changeover Valve (something to do with the Secondary Air Injection).
  • This was replaced trying to eliminate the need to replace the far more expensive pump.
Gearbox Rebuild.
  • It developed a fault, where it would engage a gear for a few seconds, or you had to rev it up and then it would slam into gear, and occasional slipping in gear.
TV Tuner.
  • Didn't need to replace but I wanted working and a good second hand one came up cheap.
  • The top covers were weeping and needing re-sealing, additionally I wanted to tidy up the engine bay so painted the covers at the same time.
  • Replaced when I get the car, then replaced trying to track a rough idle, and they were about four - five years old.
Spark plug leads.
  • Replaced due to trying to track down a rough idle.
  • Failed.
  • Failed.
Engine Cover (Due to the badge being missing)
  • Not strictly required.
One Fog Light.
  • Original one was cracked.
Front Battery (Twice).
Rear Battery (Twice).
  • The original ones had gone very brittle some were worse than others could of probably got away with them but it bugged me, thinking that in the case of everyone the locking mechanism had snapped and they could all just pulled off.
Andy, thanks for your reply and I hope you didn't think I was knocking Olly and the PCS crew as I use them as well. That is some list you have done on your car. It gives me something to look forward to 🤣

Would you do it all again knowing what you do now? I know I would.

Hi
To be honest I would say the majority of the work I have done myself, Its only the servicing and the more major mechanical jobs such as the front strut replacements, rear main oil seal replacement and gearbox rebuild, that PCS has carried out completely flawlessly.
I do like my cars to be perfect and to be honest over the last 20 months or so, all the little jobs i had been putting off I have been able to spend time on its been an element of its kept me sane during lockdown and keeping me occupied over the lockdown.
Would I do it again? Not sure I have so many times fallen out of love with it, but I would wash it polish it and then drive it a few miles and fall almost instantly back in love with it. But have been seriously thinking about selling it recently especially as it is all up together now (tempting fate? I hope not), I think if i had neighbor offering me 11k for mine I would sell it, as i think I am ready to move on. I have been looking at the SL55 so have I learnt my lesson I don't think so, do you? lol.
I put most of the issues I have had with it by me messing with it eg. smaller pulley, replacing all the other pulleys with ally items and the belt wrap kit etc.
I am convinced there is a sweet spot regarding mileage with these cars and unfortunately I bought it at the wrong mileage and have kept it to long lol, additional to this being a second car has added to this considerably IMO, as it it has only covered 2000 miles in the last 18 months it never moved off my drive for 8 months during that time when I got my 207 Cab.

Some great points, thanks all - if I'm honest it all started with the C63 (204) which is at the top of my list. I'd be happy with a C63 saloon, otherwise the other models I searched for were coupes.
I wasn't able to find a C63 for my liking (was ideally looking at 2008 models) and since then I abandoned the idea.

With the lockdown and having more spare time, I started thinking about it again :D and I still want a V8..
Like others pointed out here, it doesn't have to be super aggressive and loud (would also prefer naturally aspirated), it's a Merc so I'm looking for great looks, really good quality interior and they certainly make good engines! This is what determined me too look for 'cheaper' alternatives

The CL500 seems like a great car to me, I wasn't sure about going back to an older generation engine - from M272 to M113, mainly because I don't know much about it.
When I got my CLK I was familiar with the M272 balance shaft issue, could someone point out some of the major issues expected from the M113?
Also the ABC pump is often mentioned with the CL500, is that failing mainly due to lack of maintenance or is simply prone to failure? What kind of cost should be expected if I find a CL500 and has this issue? (would probably take it to PCS..)

The M113 engines are generally regarded as bullet - proof. Just get one with a proper service history.

The advantage of the CLK is having that V8 without the headaches of an ageing ABC system or folding metal roof. Fuel aside it shouldn’t be any dearer to run than a bog standard C220 taxi. I replaced my CLK’s springs/shocks on the driveway whereas an ABC problem would no doubt mean a trip to the Indy (poss on flatbed) and nasty 4 figure bill.

The CL is a beautiful beast though.

Driven all sorts, but one that I remember for sound was an SLK55. Top down, the soundtrack was gorgeous, probably because your ears are relatively close to it’s rear end. 😎

I have a cl 500 year ...2000
it’s done 312000 miles and shows no faults ..those engines where also fitted to the cls 500 5 years later ...it is still returning 28 mpg up and down to Taunton from Abergavenny....about 200 miles total....just a superb piece of machined madness ...

I have had suspension failures but I replaced the o rings on the tandem pump, and have only ever replaced one strut for a used one,£140 off ebay ....replace cf 11s fluid every 3-4 years for what ever the cheapest available is ..sat outside now for three weeks unused and all 4 corners still up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom