Best New Battery for 211 E55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Hi All

Looks like my battery is on its way out! My car starts OK but I am constantly getting the message that my convenience functions are temporarily unavailable. I have had this various times before but now seems a very regular occurrence. I checked and the battery is stamped 2008 so its over 5 years old.

Anyway what is recommended? The current one is a genuine MB, but thinking others are probably as good and guessing cheaper!?

Part no. A 005 541 10 01
ETN no. 595 901 085
850 A
95 Ah
12 V

I have looked at Eurocarparts site and there are a few options but some seem to differ in performance. Ie there is a 'Bosch' which is the most expensive and exactly matches my current spec whereas there is a 'Lion' branded one which is cheaper but has 950 A but only 90 Ah.

Will this make any difference or can / should I just get the cheapest?

I have no idea on this so any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Phone the parts dept at the main dealer and ask them to price match a decent battery from ECP eg Bosch and they usually will.

And you'll know it's exactly the battery you need.

Hi hope you are well mate.

If you retain mobilo it is worth purchasing a mb battery, if you ever call them out and it is a battery related issue they will charge for the call out if its a non mb battery.

If that does not bother you then ask mb for a discount on the battery or go for a bosch.

Actually I have just looked again and not sure if the Eurocarparts description is correct as the picture of the Lion one has 850 A and 95 Ah written on the side of it.

Recommendations still wanted though guys.

That was quick guys, I was writing my second post before I saw your replies!!

Thanks

Simon, get a mb battery, also it could be the small one in front, I ended up changing both, ask for a discount at mb it was cheaper than euros

MB batteries come with a 2 year warranty these days and they usually fit it for free. I changed mine recently and the price was comparable to a heavy duty one from the RAC.

Thanks everyone - I will give MB a call first then. I took my car to Andy and Paul at Eurocharged recently and they seemed to think it was likely to be my main battery.

Cheers

simon1966 said:
Thanks everyone - I will give MB a call first then. I took my car to Andy and Paul at Eurocharged recently and they seemed to think it was likely to be my main battery. Cheers

If you have mobilo phone them they will come to you and fit the battery for no additional fee, you only pay the price of the battery.

Same applies to a maf my brother had one fitted to his c43 and only paid the price of the maf.

Last edited:
If you have mobilo phone them they will come to you and fit the battery for no additional fee, you only pay the price of the battery.

Same applies to a maf my brother had one fitted to his c43 and only paid the price of the maf.

I don't have mobilo Don, but thanks for the heads up!

I spoke with the MB dealer I usually use in Guildford and they have a genuine MB battery in stock for £120 plus vat! This is cheaper than going to eurocarparts even with 25% mb club discount. So I am picking a new one up on Monday.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I guess MB stealer can come up trumps some times.

I'm sure they would fit it for you, as you have used them before. Save you disposing the old one.

A bit late now but for future reference, Costco do a great deal on Bosch batteries. Last time I checked it was half price for my wife's car.

A bit late now but for future reference, Costco do a great deal on Bosch batteries. Last time I checked it was half price for my wife's car.

I did look in Costco but couldn't see one listed for my car, but generally they did seem to be very well priced.

Did you consider a lightweight battery? Might be worth going for one.

Did you consider a lightweight battery? Might be worth going for one.

Hi Alex

I didn't even think about a lightweight one. I picked the new battery up from MB yesterday so too late now. That said with my traction issues (even with the quaife) I reckon some weight in the back over the wheels is a bonus!

You can get the Bosch S5/Varta silver 100Ah (exactly the same thing) battery for under £90 delivered on eBay.
They come with a 5yr warranty whereas the MB one comes with 2yrs I believe.

Varta make most of the MB branded batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom