best oil for w124, 260 e ,@87.000 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
What oil to use on this Mercedes w124 260e 1989. I have read that many tales on which one i should use .This Mercedes as used Mobil 1 up to 50.000 now it is on 87.000 the last 37.000 is anyones guess on the type of oil that was used . Did Mercedes recomend synthetic oil in the 89-90s.I have used Magnatec in my Volvos and love it . thank you for your information.

All I can tell you is that I've used 10/40 semi over many thousands of miles both for the 2.6 & 3.0lt M103's, oil changes carried out @ 5-6k draining the old oil while still hot.

Always use semi in my W124s - don't think any fully synthetic oils were available in 1990, so I'm pretty sure that's what Merc designed them to run on

Last posts spot on. Mine is running Shell helix which I stocked up on when ecp had their last offer. Asda often sell Castrol gtx 4l for £12 a tub.

Keeping the coolant fresh is very important to protect the HG, matrix etc. Don't forget the transmission fluid/filter and diff oil - they might have been in there for yonks in a car this age.

Surely oils, like cars have advanced over time and are backward compatible and offer better protection than oils available in 1989. I would imagine even the oils that were available back then have been improved.

If in doubt check this chart to see which oils meet the different Mercedes specifications and are recommended for use in you engine type. (1st three digits of your engine number). http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

Then you can check the recommended oils which are Approved for each relevant spec number. i.e. 229.3 / 229.5 against these charts. (Spec sheet numbers can be changed by clicking on the dropdown menu at the top). MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

I use Mobil 1 New Life in mine. Fully synthetic and suitable for both petrol and *diesel engines. (*Without DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter).

AMSOIL introduced the first API/SAE approved 100% synthetic motor oil in 1972.

Last edited:
Surely oils, like cars have advanced over time and are backward compatible and offer better protection than oils available in 1989. I would imagine even the oils that were available back then have been improved.
Modern oils are certainly different but not necessarily better for an older engine design as many of the 'improvements' are due to the emissions tat modern engines are saddled with and others came about as a result of improved machining tolerances and the like. More detail here... http://www.millersoils.co.uk/pdf/automotive/ZDDP.pdf

That said the bottom end of the m103 and m104 engines are pretty close to industructable in their standard state of tune. Posher oils won't make it work better or last any longer (and it'll already probably outlive the rest of the car with the possible exception of the valve stem seals), they're just about extended service intervals which are offset by their higher price.

FWIW i use Fuchs titan syn 10w40. It's a damn good semi synthetic and typically a bunch cheaper than equivilant Castrol or Mobil flavours as you're not paying for their huuuuuger advertising campaigns...

10 40 Semi Synth in mine. Both engines over 200K and not a whimper out of either. Which brand - cheapest - but change it every 5/6 K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom