Best option for (free) 3rd party image hosting now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
OK since PhotoBucket has just committed suicide, what the best equivalent service for someone like me who wants to upload pictures now and again for display in forum threads?? I know a few options have been mentioned in the PB thread but I thought it might be useful to have alternatives listed here.

Flickr for me.

Kenny

Yes, as MJ says. There's loads of little sites that'll host images for you.

Being small sites, they need to be fast, simple and unobtrusive for anybody to bother using them. They need to have advantages over the big players like photobucket. So they do.

Photobucket is absolutely dreadful. You click to view a full size image, and get taken to a page that takes 20 seconds to load, is riddled with ads and shows a photo that's no bigger than the one you clicked through from. If you right click and try to open the photo in a new tab, the img path redirects you back to the same ad laden page. It's completely unfit for purpose.

https://imgbb.com/ is another good one.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I agree 100% that Photobucket has become pretty terrible of late but it wasn't always like that.

Any picture attached to a post should be hosted by the form, if all forums did this then there wouldn’t be this problem with Photo Bucket.
Forums should do away with the attachment limit for members and also do away with the ridicules limited editing time for posts.

Anyone know the cost of hosting one Terabyte, which is about one million pictures?

Dec

I own a forum and we don't have an edit time limit, or an attachment limit, but it does start to add to the cost of hosting it when I need more and more storage. I don't host video, YouTube is perfect for that.

It depends on the provider. I use Google cloud compute platform. 1TB of persistent disc space would cost hundreds per month I'd imagine.

Flickr for me.

Kenny

The problem with all these is that they then get popular and oversubscribed and eventually go the same way as PB. Ok for the odd pic but then, as in the case of Charles's blog, gets completely wasted by withdrawal of access.
I think i mentioned earlier that many moons ago when my ISP was the forerunner of Tiscali it came with a small personal webspace and at the time I was uploading pics of the 107 rebuild I did to a blog on the Owners-Club forum (2002 - 2004).

Question for the tech-savvy out there...how easy, (not to say inexpensive!!), would it be to set up a personal webspace which one could upload and host ones pics to and link them to this and other fora?

Last edited:
Below should be an image from my Google Photos album, can anyone see it? Is it just the one image or can you see more images from the album?

T4gbmbTrPMokv-H4xuUJfKwZcWQwsMat3Zi1OXFsgiw-8BIJLhvKXbqbUNh9n0SLx5g7zxD36XBYScwpU3c5BKA5EAY_9IduwWex5JnpRmVejOZ0OSd7pAdBpaLezmCL3-qMu90EdRQ

The problem with all these is that they then get popular and oversubscribed and eventually go the same way as PB. Ok for the odd pic but then, as in the case of Charles's blog, gets completely wasted by withdrawal of access.
I think i mentioned earlier that many moons ago when my ISP was the forerunner of Tiscali it came with a small personal webspace and at the time I was uploading pics of the 107 rebuild I did to a blog on the Owners-Club forum (2002 - 2004).

Question for the tech-savvy out there...how easy, (not to say inexpensive!!), would it be to set up a personal webspace which one could upload and host ones pics to and link them to this and other fora?

Host your own website, tapclick below.
https://www.hostinger.co.uk/web-hosting

You can practice designing a website below.
Zyro - Website Builder

Dec

Why do you need to use hosting sites when you can post pics direct from pc/laptop etc? I haven`t used PB for ages.

Why do you need to use hosting sites when you can post pics direct from pc/laptop etc? I haven`t used PB for ages.

When your attachment limit is exhausted, you wont be able to post any more pictures on to the forum, you will have to use something like Photobucket or one of the free picture hosting sites mentioned above.

If you scroll up and click on User CP on the top of this page, then scroll down and click on attachments and you will see how much picture space you have left.

Dec

When your attachment limit is exhausted, you wont be able to post any more pictures on to the forum, you will have to use something like Photobucket or one of the free picture hosting sites mentioned above.

If you scroll up and click on User CP on the top of this page, then scroll down and click on attachments and you will see how much picture space you have left.

Dec

Oh great....another restriction :rolleyes:

Dec

Oh great....another restriction :rolleyes:

What other "restrictions" has the site imposed on you?

Other MB Forums are available................

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom