Best paint prep ? How many layers of sealant ?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mav01987, Sep 8, 2018.

1. mav01987

mav01987 Active Member

Car:
    Golf
    Hi

So I am planning to do some paint correction on my W211

-fill in stone chips and a few scratches

-2 or 3 stage polish

-paint sealant ( Meguiars pro 21 synthetic sealant)

-top coat of carnuba wax ( P21S),

-headlight restoration.

I was wondering what is the best stuff to use to strip old waxes, oils and polish residue after i finish polishing ?

I was going to use isopropyl alcohol (10%) with warm water but I have been told it shrinks paint and isn’t the best. What’s your views?

Also how many coats of sealant should I use before it becomes a waste of sealant and time?

Thanks in advance

2. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    If it helps i read this before doing mine just be sure if using IPA that it doesn't sit wet on the paintwork anywhere and to use it before you tape up the area you're working on.

How true the below link is i'm not sure but he seemed like he had taken a lot of time to write it. When doing mine i simply just sprayed a 10% solution onto the cloth and wiped the car over, then went around with a clean cloth to wipe up risidue (more for peace of mind).

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

With regards to layering sealent i think one is enough i have read that thinking of adding "layers" is a bit of a myth as the second application will remove the first. However if you apply it and you're not happy with the result you'd be fine to apply it again.

mav01987 and merc85 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mav01987

mav01987 Active Member

Car:
    Golf
    Yh I’ll prob do that in regard to the ipa wipe down just to be on the safe side

In regards to layering sealant this is what I always thought just different professional detailers say different things in regard to this which is a bit annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisk2010 likes this.
  4. Toobad

Toobad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC Sport X253
    The main reason for a second coat of sealant is to ensure 100% coverage. Layering for increased protection works to a certain extent but the payoff from the additional product deployed is somewhat minimal. If layering for protection you need to ensure the first layer has completely cured before applying the second layer or the solvents from the second application will simply attack and dissolve your first coat. Hold off on the second coating until the next day if possible or at least a minimum of 12 hours. The P21S (now called R222 in Europe) will look totally epic over the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze.

Petrolheed and chrisk2010 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    mav01987

mav01987 Active Member

Car:
    Golf

Thanks,

yea I am trying not to waste product and time, I am planning to do this outdoors so hoping to get a 4 day weekend with nice not sunny but calm mild weather in London gd luck to me. So I don’t want to be adding more product then needed mainly because of time & the 3 stage polish will take long enough

Yh I did a lot of research on sealants and wax’s for a black car and those two seem to be the best combination

chrisk2010 likes this.
  6. Toobad

Toobad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC Sport X253
    If you are somewhat time poor you may want to take a look at the newer auto-reducing polishes that are appearing on the market as they can eliminate multi-stage polishing. As you continue to work them, these polishes begin to break down into smaller particles thereby cutting and refining the surface all in one go. I've had great success with Scholl Concepts S20 Black Edition. To completely guild the lily, I finish by doing a jewelling polish using Nanotech SST Black Super Gloss Polish, a product primarily intended for the boat industry.

Scholl Concepts S20 Black Edition Review

Super Gloss Polish 500ml For Dark Coloured Gel-Coat or Paint [295] - £16.99 : Nanotech SST Ltd

mav01987 and chrisk2010 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mav01987

mav01987 Active Member

Car:
    Golf
    Yh I’ve heard scholl concepts products are quite good but since I’ve already got the auto finesse revitalise kit which is still brand new, I don’t really want to spend anymore money on new products just yet, prob will try both products in the future