Best place to advertise a near perfect CLS55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GT3RS

Car
No more cars!
Hey guys, I’m currently prepping my beloved CLS55 for sale. It’s scheduled to go on Collecting Cars but I’m also thinking whether to put it on here or PH.

Would anyone have any recommendations based on what has worked best for them recently please? I’m a bit out of touch!

Many thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 46A16B04-E02F-4789-93F6-83FE5909D5A9.jpeg
    46A16B04-E02F-4789-93F6-83FE5909D5A9.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 57
Simplest answer is as much detail as possible, set your price and advertise it in as many prime places as you want.

You are only looking for one buyer

Simplest answer is as much detail as possible, set your price and advertise it in as many prime places as you want.

You are only looking for one buyer
^^ This. Plenty of places to advertise, including this and other MB-related sites.

As above...as much detail as possible. Collecting cars is a good bet. You might also find a brokered sale is worth looking at for this kind of car, I.e. they sell from a swanky showroom and give you a pre agreed price if it sells. I did this once, takes away the hassle and I got quite a lot more than I expected from a private sale.

Many thanks guys! I think I’m going to offer it on here first because it needs a good home. After that I’ll try CC. You wouldn’t believe the level of prep work I’m doing to ensure the car is at its absolute best. I think I need serious help with my OCD…

Many thanks guys! I think I’m going to offer it on here first because it needs a good home. After that I’ll try CC. You wouldn’t believe the level of prep work I’m doing to ensure the car is at its absolute best. I think I need serious help with my OCD…
Why what are you doing to it?

Good question ;)

1. I’ve got around £10k worth of high end audio system that was installed by Auto Audio - they are going to swap it out as they did when it was in my Porsche.
2. It’s going to Wayne Gates for a service in a couple of weeks.
3. I swapped out a non OEM mirror glass for OEM yesterday because it always bugged me - see pic.
4. Swapped out new boot edge liners too because the old were split - see pics.
5. Fitting new keyless drivers door handle tomorrow - these are a nightmare because they just stop working every few years (even with no water ingress).
6. The *only* thing letting the car down are two small car parking dents. I’m debating whether to fix them because it means the door and adjacent panels need to be blended to do it properly (I don’t like dodgy smart repairs).

Once all this is done the car will need NOTHING, so someone else will be able to enjoy a very well maintained CLS55… Unless I change my mind! Anyway, here’s a few pics to enjoy taken an hour ago :)

79E0B271-E67C-433C-9875-FC038C599760.jpeg7419E7E3-94B8-4358-9FBE-7DDABBF11312.jpegAFEC2C6C-5BB4-4323-9B31-401857EC47E4.jpeg1CA19698-4611-474A-BD41-6D5A58D83E73.jpeg6C7B39D2-2CE2-4CA0-B413-334A4EBE523E.jpegE8D9ECA9-FD55-4988-B5A8-E2D9E36F545F.jpegEAE78653-72D6-4BC0-AFD5-B85DD169424E.jpeg4001EFAA-D004-4AF4-BCAF-BFD1E6B3540D.jpegF708D73B-03E5-4E65-93FD-395F32FE109B.jpeg8EC59859-EBEF-41A1-8638-7DE38DA1853B.jpegA5F4DF5B-C197-4C4F-A4EF-5352A43AA881.jpeg5993E612-0C69-4961-8AB8-9B106FBF2B3F.jpeg7A5B3B23-67CE-4E42-99B3-0C85EBE58FA1.jpeg16CB946B-C4B0-4AF6-975E-B31F62D4DFDA.jpeg

Attachments

• 1F997852-075B-42DB-9A98-5056A0ACDDF0.jpeg
    1F997852-075B-42DB-9A98-5056A0ACDDF0.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 13
Personally speaking, swap out the audio and get it serviced. Maybe change the door handle and leave it at that.

It’s a lovely car and will still attain the right money for you.

Yea I would only go down the repair route if it turns out to be a real blocker. What you could do is getting a quote and use it as part of the negotiation tool set ... Advertise the car for the price you want to get and if a buyer complaints, negotiate.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your advice :) I’m waiting for a quote now actually. The two best body shops in Bedford are super busy!

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your advice :) I’m waiting for a quote now actually. The two best body shops in Bedford are super busy!
I have the same car - same colour - Im almost finished with all the jobs it needed. When and if I do sell it, it will go on auction at Classic Cars for Sale | Car and Classic - Might be worth considering.

By the way, whats the mileage and how much are you looking to sell it for??

Thanks for the tip Ross!

It’s just over 104k miles - 2 owners from new, FSH, 530hp, etc. I wasn’t sure about pricing but there was a guy looking closely at my car in the garage two weeks ago. It turns out he was collecting a CLS55 the same day (in London) - he said he paid £15k and it wasn’t even close to the condition of mine. The garage owner suggested putting it up for £17k and seeing what happens. FYI CC said it could reach £13-15k but we wouldn’t know exactly until we put it on.

Regardless, those figures don’t even come close to the work done over the last 8 years to try to keep the car in ‘as new’ condition!

I have the same car - same colour - Im almost finished with all the jobs it needed. When and if I do sell it, it will go on auction at Classic Cars for Sale | Car and Classic - Might be worth considering.

By the way, whats the mileage and how much are you looking to sell it for??

I've had mixed experience with car and classic auctions, selling myself. Personally I find factual inaccuracies, lack of important details, and flowery/OTT descriptors off putting and wonder if this puts off other fellow car geeks too. Interested to know if others have experienced the same.
You pay a final sale fee on that platform too, obviously.

Personally I find factual inaccuracies, lack of important details, and flowery/OTT descriptors off putting and wonder if this puts off other fellow car geeks too.
That is exactly what Collecting Cars is there to counter. The description and pictures are second to none. They vet the cars that get to go on the auction. Watching a few sales they often don't reach quite as high a price as other places but I'm sure you get a decent experience and it's because the buyer is factoring in the premium they have to pay.

That is exactly what Collecting Cars is there to counter. The description and pictures are second to none. They vet the cars that get to go on the auction. Watching a few sales they often don't reach quite as high a price as other places but I'm sure you get a decent experience and it's because the buyer is factoring in the premium they have to pay.
Yep, totally agree with all of this. Accurate and factual. That's what car enthusiasts want, not something that tries too hard to flatter. I find some adverts totally cringe... and some embellishments very easy to see through. Doesn't do any favours.

Sadly, it works on a lot of people because only a small proportion of the population are car nerds. It's a shame those kind of dealers sometimes get hold of stock that car people want and we have to deal with their BS.

Thanks for the tip Ross!

It’s just over 104k miles - 2 owners from new, FSH, 530hp, etc. I wasn’t sure about pricing but there was a guy looking closely at my car in the garage two weeks ago. It turns out he was collecting a CLS55 the same day (in London) - he said he paid £15k and it wasn’t even close to the condition of mine. The garage owner suggested putting it up for £17k and seeing what happens. FYI CC said it could reach £13-15k but we wouldn’t know exactly until we put it on.

Regardless, those figures don’t even come close to the work done over the last 8 years to try to keep the car in ‘as new’ condition!
Wow thats really interesting - he paid £15K for one not in the same condition as yours and yours has those two bodywork dents. I would say that if you get those dents sorted, def advertise it for £17K. Mine didnt have dents but had scratches, a bit of rusting on the rear arch and someone had keyed it. Spent £1.4K on a partial respray. She now looks amazing. Getting the bodywork as good as possible is well worth it, because its what a buyer sees as they approach the car for the first time, and that first impression really counts!!

Out of interest, gents, do the 55's come with folding rear seats as standard?

The family will be down to three soon if my son goes off to uni and I'm thinking about finally going back to something with four doors.

I found the folding seats in my C43 saloon extremely useful and those in the 200SX's before that also very handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom