Best place to advertise car for sale ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

Any opinions ?

So far I've tried:-

Local paper (£30)
Exchange and Mart website (£13)
FreeAds (£5)
Autortrader website (£18)

Only responses I seemed to get were from autotrader, and they werent too numerous. Anyone got any alternatives?

I am wondering about the price? I'm sure you know your car and its value, but if it isn't selling in those locations then there must be a reason. I have always liked the printed version of Autotrader and have always managed to sell.

Good luck with any replies.

John

I am wondering about the price? I'm sure you know your car and its value, but if it isn't selling in those locations then there must be a reason. I have always liked the printed version of Autotrader and have always managed to sell.

Good luck with any replies.

John

I was wondering about adding it to the printed version but that bumps the cost up a bit more.

I only advertised it on the web site last time because that meant I was able to lower the price dynamically etc.

It was the lowest price one for the car within 100 miles....

Only thing is MOT runs out in 2 months so that might have put people off. Think I'll get it done for 12 months.

What car is it ?

Let me tell you i sell almost all my cars over the internet. I have stopped advertising with the paper version of auto trader as i was probably only selling 1 in 10 cars through it and getting a lot of nuisance calls.

Note that the market is down at the moment for selling cars, most of the dealers i know are selling half the number of cars than usual, so i wouldnt worry, it can take anything up to a couple months constant advertising to sell a car even if priced reasonably.

Only thing is MOT runs out in 2 months so that might have put people off. Think I'll get it done for 12 months.
I think that is the most important point. Internet is great for those with computers and you pays your money etc etc, but the MOT is a must

Well done

John

The thing with selling any secondhand car is that (obviously) you need to find a buyer prepared to pay the asking price.

There are many times more cars for sale than there are buyers and hence your vehicle must be more attractive for whatever reason to tempt a buyer towards your one. Be it price, specification, mileage (or many more factors).

No offence, but if it's done average to high mileage, and/or doesn't have an outstanding specification it's going to have to be 'cheap' not 'fairly' priced to sell in a reasonable time frame :)

I'd go along with Howard and put it on eBay - widest audience and the bidding will at least show you what people are prepared to pay? Take some decent photos and write a comprehensive description, no reserve and have it on for 10 days starting on weds/thurs (finishing on a w/end ;) ) and you'll probably sell it quicker and for at least as much as you'll get from an classified ad.

Best of luck,

Will

Jay knows what he is talking about, and I agree!

The good thing with autotrader online is you can get calls screened by known scamers. Worked very well the last 2 cars I sold. Prior to that it was non-stop 'We've got a queue of buyers for your car - send us £79 and we'll send you their details.'

But if the phone is dead for too long, it might suggest the price is too high.

I advertised my wife's CRV on autotrader and it went in 24 hours - must have asked too little...lol:cool:

Just sold a Ford KA on autotrader (web site only) and received first calls within about 10-mins of advertising and sold immediately. And I priced it quite highly too. It definitely works if the demand is there for the car. .

Hello,

Given its free I've found Piston heads great and have sold a few cars on there. E-bay worth a try? remember to put a reserve that you are happy with and see how it goes.

My advice having sold on both, include a lot of pictures and include pictures of keys and service books etc. Also give a good description (and be honest)

Worth a try on both

Cheers

Ebay!! If you manage to sell it prior to end of auction you can withdraw it and not pay the final price/value fees! Worked for me both buying and selling, alot cheaper than autotrader!

Let me tell you i sell almost all my cars over the internet. I have stopped advertising with the paper version of auto trader as i was probably only selling 1 in 10 cars through it and getting a lot of nuisance calls.

Note that the market is down at the moment for selling cars, most of the dealers i know are selling half the number of cars than usual, so i wouldnt worry, it can take anything up to a couple months constant advertising to sell a car even if priced reasonably.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I never bothered with the paper version then. Looks like I'll have another tilt at autotrader website...

Another vote for pistonheads here. Free, and the readership is HUGE these days.

The Mercedes forum on there speaks highly of this one too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom