Best place to put savings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
I'm a bit out of touch with the financial world... Where's the best place to put £200K+ for 6 to 12 months?

Under the mattress?

Forward to my account and let me look after it or as above - go for gold!

Depends on your attittude to risk.

Low risk: High interest but no access bank account for 12 months.

High risk: Place it all on banking shares - who knows you could double your money over the next 12 months....

More importantly what are you doing with the money at the 12 month point?

I'm sure that I read that silver and gold Had Peaked.
If going to use bank or building society you may want to keep within fcsc limits.

I'm a bit out of touch with the financial world... Where's the best place to put £200K+ for 6 to 12 months?

Under the mattress?

I am puzzled why you are out of touch with the financial world but have £200k to squirrel away...just an observation.

Not being nosy (I am actually) but I guess its an inheritance or proceeds from a property sale?

Make sure all your tax obligations are sorted before you do anything.

I was in a similar position 5 years ago having sold the big house and moved to a rental property while house hunting. I put the "house buying fund" into a rolling 30 day deposit with my bank (Cater Allen), interest was paid monthly gross, and at that time pretty much covered the cost of renting. Also made it easy when we bought the house - I just instructed the bank to renew to a certain date then transfer the required amount to my solicitors.

I'm sure that I read that silver and gold Had Peaked.
If going to use bank or building society you may want to keep within fcsc limits.

Not yet it hasn't, Gold is set to reach $1700 an ounce by the end of the year.

Not yet it hasn't, Gold is set to reach $1700 an ounce by the end of the year.

Why?

My experience is that when everyone says X is a great buy / you can't lose / it's going to hit Y by end of the year - people pile in and the wise are then piling out. Suddenly it can go pear shaped..

Tech stocks...for example
Property ...for example

Maybe Gold may be fine. Just beware that you don't become a sheep...

You don't just have a commodity to trade but you also have to be wary of currency fluctuations as Gold is predominantly US dollar based.

All IMHO of course

Last edited:
My advice is don't save it.

Spend it.

Who wants to be the richest man in the graveyard?

Sls ?

Get a 458 italia at list and sell on for a £25/30k profit.

Of all the answers so far... I like SLS :)

Now to convince my wife it really will appreciate, honestly :)

This money is the proceeds from our house sale and we're moving into a rented house while we look around for somewhere to buy. So very similar to Chrishazle. I'm not sure the interest on it would pay the rent nowadays though, at least not with any bank savings account I know of, but then that's why I asked.

Duplicate post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom