best places to sell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jama665

Car
W202 C230k sport C43 Kit (For Sale)
Hi, trying to sell my car, any one know best places to sell on the net that dont cost a fortune but will get plenty of exposure

cheers matt

Pistonheads, Gumtree - both free.

Or eBay as a Classified Ad for 28 days (£14.99 in total)

Autotrader also, but not the cheapest.

I sold my previous car via eBay's Classified Ad - no idiots bidding then not showing, simply an Advert on one of biggest, if not the biggest, marketplaces around today.

Worth the £15 if you get no luck on Gumtree.

Also try owners forums etc

Freeads although to be honest probably do not get the audience, but then again, it is free!

Gumtree, local paper, LOOT although thats London I think? Autotrader, ebay, HERE! Other forums....shops, supermarkets work place? etc etc :D

I think ebay, although can be full of idiots but I have bought/sold most on there TBH without any trouble :)

Last edited:
ebay

I bought our last car on ebay.
The description was good (slightly overblown) and the price was fair.
If the seller had asked for a deposit by paypal I would not have bid.

We popped round the day after the auction, looked round it, checked all the HPI checkboxes and paid the chap in a local Barclays. He pulled a fast one with the non working locking petrol cap but otherwise it was okay.

If you provide plenty of photos and an honest description it puts you ahead of most dealers.

ebay + anything else that is free

ebay is all you need. anyone looking for a car will check on ebay aswell as anywhere else, so may aswell just list it there. make sure its a great advert with lots of good photos

ebay + anything else that is free

Doesn't ebay charge you if/when you sell?

I just sold on AutoTrader, Ad cost £32 IIRC, fairly painless, and bought a replacement through the same route, both good deals, both straight honest used Mercs.

I got i t on ebay at the moment, I find with ebay the title is everything!!!! regarding it actually turning up in search results. Think i may change the title again see if drums up more page veiws

Doesn't ebay charge you if/when you sell?

yes, i meant pay for ebay classified ad/auction and then put elsewhere if its free.

last 4 or so cars i sold were via ebay.... although i listed them on other sites aswell, including autotrader. all i got via autotrader was some nigerian gentlemen...... waste of time and money if you ask me.... anyone looking will look at both so may aswell put it on ebay and not be restricted to a small advert - put nice photos in the ad using a self hosting pic website (like photobucket etc) and a great description..... thats all you need.

all IMHO of course ;)

I sold my last 2 cars on psitonheads. No problems with the sales and good value to list.

What is the protocol re: haggling if you put your car on ebay? Usually when you sell something secondhand, there is a degree of negotiation about the price, often at the very last minute. If you sell the car via ebay, are they agreeing to pay the advertised price, or does the buyer still expect to view the car and then try to knock some money off?

I would only ever put the car up as a classified advert for 28 days on ebay.

They then don't bid, it is just an advert so they can contact you.

And make sure you add an email address, many people will ONLY make first contact via email and not pick up the phone. Loads of people can email you from work but not call, and many just don't want to listen to how wonderful the Mercedes X Class is for 30 minutes on the phone, they already know that, that's why they are looking for one.*

Ebay Classified advert.

Loads of pictures.

Proper description laid out nicely and as short as possible.

Full details of services, when tyres where changed, how much tread, how many miles to next service etc. etc.

Think of every question that needs to be answered and answer it, this will sort out people who don't want it, if you don't put that you will call everyone a time waster, but it is actually you as the seller who is wasting their time by not including all the info.

Also, Autotrader online only is great, £16 for 2 weeks with up to 12 pictures and 1000 words.

*When looking for an W211 estate I gave up on private sellers because I just couldn't sit through another hour of them dribbling on about what a great car it had been, how they get the kids, dog, suitcases in and how it gets them down to Italy in complete comfort, then how it managed to get a few crates of Vino Tinto in the boot and still fit everyone in and get them home again.
I get it, it's a big Mercedes estate, I would expect it to do all that!

One blokes wife got seriously burnt down in Frejus, her shoulder blistered, the whole family was really worried, I mean, you really have got to give the sun some respect these days, the were only out in it for 3 hours as well, now he makes the whole family put on factor 50, no arguments, you have..................Whoa!! Hold on a minute, can I come and see the car tomorrow or not??

It is the equivilent of getting invited round to look at your friends holiday pictures, ie. ****in' boring!!!

Last edited:
Looks good - laid out well.

One thing I would add is more photos.

I have done this on previous adverts, and to be honest the compliments I received from potential buyers were great.

I usually open a free random Photobucket account, put photo's of all angles, any damage you mention, service history etc etc - then add it all as a Slideshow on the actual advert - let's folk see what they are getting.

To give you an idea.......

2006 55 FORD MONDEO ST220 ESTATE RARE in VERY HIGH SPEC on eBay (end time 25-Jan-11 19:26:06 GMT)

Very easy.

www.photobucket.com - sign up (I usually use the car make/model as the username)

Upload the pictures (follow instructions)

Look for Share Album - click slideshow

Copy the link for slideshow and paste it in your auction editor on Ebay.

If you do it and get stuck, give me a shout and I will help you along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom