Best pod coffee machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
I know we have covered various aspects of this before on other threads but I need to buy a coffee make for my office and for ease it needs to be the pod variety. Lots on offer at the moment at various retailers would like to spend <£100 but thought I would seek the direct experiences of the panel.

For my taste it's really easy as I drink my coffee black, I like full bodied strong dark roast variety and normally make a cup of about 250 ml per time. Volume produced from some of these machines seem to be an issue as I'm sure I read the largest Nespresso is 110ml? (could do 2 in one cup I suppose)

All recommendations welcome

TIA

I use a Nescafé Dolce Gusto.

220ml drinks are the norm. Grande Crema and Americano and others ....

I sometimes use a double Espresso and top with freshly boiled water for an Americano in a bigger mug.

I have just returned to a Nespresso machine as I have got fed up with grounds, plenty of strong dark roasts, and you can now buy pods in Waitrose and other places more cheaply and with greater variety than from the Nespresso store. The machines, while branded by individual producers (Krups, Magimix,etc) all use the same Nespresso machinery. I'll measure the output tomorrow of a long cup.

Nespresso for us. I measured one of their natty wee tin cups at 125ml for a Lungo shot but it is up to the user how long the thing is set to deliver.
They work out at 30pp shot in lungo form.

Another Nespresso user here, well for the home office anyway.

Krupps machine, you decide how much coffee to dispense and pre-set the buttons to your preference.

Pods are available all over the place now, the cheapest are to be found @ 17p each at Lidl and their Ristretto ones are fine.

Obviously you don't need a milk warmer/frother if you prefer black.

I had a Flavia machine in the office for several years. Mine was the SB100 - but IIRC the "Fusion"Flavia Fusion Drinks Station hot Drinks Coffee Tea | eBay is cheaper to buy.

The coffee "pods" are individually sealed little foil packs and there are several coffees available - also teas & hot chocolate. Pods are fairly cheap in boxes of 125 bought on line.

Have you thought of bean-to-cup? I know the machines are dearer (I have the DeLonghi Magnifica) DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM04.320.S Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine - NEW 2YR WARRANTY 8004399324954 | eBaybut you save a lot by buying loose coffee beans (12kg for about £60 on line). Can adjust how much beans, how much water, how fine or coarse the grind. IMO its a far superior cup of coffee.

We have a Dolce at home and Tasssimo in the office. My preference is the Tasssimo, I love their Chia Latte.

We had a Nespresso before getting a Jura bean to cup machine. The Nespresso produces very good coffee, albeit more expensive than bean to cup per cup.

I had a Flavia machine in the office for several years. Mine was the SB100 - but IIRC the "Fusion"Flavia Fusion Drinks Station hot Drinks Coffee Tea | eBay is cheaper to buy.

The coffee "pods" are individually sealed little foil packs and there are several coffees available - also teas & hot chocolate. Pods are fairly cheap in boxes of 125 bought on line.

Have you thought of bean-to-cup? I know the machines are dearer (I have the DeLonghi Magnifica) DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM04.320.S Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine - NEW 2YR WARRANTY 8004399324954 | eBaybut you save a lot by buying loose coffee beans (12kg for about £60 on line). Can adjust how much beans, how much water, how fine or coarse the grind. IMO its a far superior cup of coffee.

I've got 2 bean to cup machines a saeco in my home office and a delonghi in the kitchen. Both are brilliant but the saeco has the edge.

I just need something for my office in Bradford. I'm not there all that often but just want good coffee when I am so it's really suited to a pod type machine.

I've got 2 bean to cup machines a saeco in my home office and a delonghi in the kitchen. Both are brilliant but the saeco has the edge.

I just need something for my office in Bradford. I'm not there all that often but just want good coffee when I am so it's really suited to a pod type machine.

Not sure if these are what you are looking for - currently on offer for one day at Amazon - £159.99 down from £279.99

Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine

Nespresso for me. If you like espresso coffee then in fact the espresso setting is correct at 50ml and lungo at 125ml. To achieve a larger cup just add boiled water, not too hot (Americano), or hot milk (Latte).

If you always want a bigger cup then maybe you would prefer a filter coffee machine? Also good just a different sort of coffee.

To throw an outsider in there I also have an Aerobie Aeropress which makes great coffee and is very cheap to buy. Also made my the people who invented the flying ring!

For the past 5 years I've owned a Tassimo T85. During that time, I believed it to be a very good machine. Unfortunately, last month, it broke down not long after my bean-to-cup machine also broke down.

Since I already owned a Nespresso Aerocinno for warming milk with my favourite Tassimo coffee, rather than buy a replacement Tassimo, I took a chance on buying a Nespresso Citiz (Krups). My gamble really paid off. I couldn't go back to Tassimo.

I used to hear people praising Nespresso for its 'gourmet coffee', and dismissed such claims as marketing hype. Dependant on your particular coffee tastes, a given Nespresso variety can taste as good as a freshly ground cup of coffee from a bean-to-cup machine. That's from someone like me who has also recently purchased a Jura bean-to-cup coffee machine. This sits alongside my Nespresso Citiz.

I hadn't previously appreciated that the Tassimo only generated 3.3 bar pressure in producing coffee. This compares to 19 bar pressure on Nespresso, and 15 bar pressure on a bean-to-cup machines. When I previously used my Tassimo, my favourite coffee was Carte Noire Aromatique. When I first purchased my Nespresso, I bought the Carte Noire Aromatique NX capsules from the supermarket. There shouldn't have been any difference between the two, but there was. The Tassimo version is somewhat bitter compared to the smoother, more full bodied NX version.

While I have tried various NX capsules from the supermarket, none of them compares anywhere near as well as authentic Nespresso capsules.

FWIW, regardless of the brand identifier on the Nespresso machine, they are all made by Nespresso. When my Tassimo broke down (electrical fault), neither Bosch nor Tassimo were interested. A Nespresso is warranted for 3 years as standard. If it develops a problem, Nespresso will collect and return your machine directly in person from your home, while leaving you with a loaned Nespresso while yours in being attended to. Also, out of warranty, the same standard of service is offered for a flat fee of £49.

I managed to break the used capsule container within the first week of ownership. They sent a replacement free of charge.

So, in answer to your question: buy a Nespresso.

On further reflection, given your office requirements, a bean-to-cup machine might work out better for you in the long run.

For example, buying coffee beans rather than using Nespresso pods would be more economic. That is, you would typically get 30 cups out of a £3.00 bag of coffee beans. To get the equivalent number of 30 Nespresso cups, at 2 pods per cup (220ml), would cost you £18 (£9 if you only used one pod per cup).

The UK agent that represent Jura in the UK is Jura Products. They provide Jura machines for offices such as yours. Given that you only require black coffee, I suggest the basic ENA Micro 1. Look at this link to see if the figures work out better for you. Leasing rather than outright purchase is an option.

BTW, if you install the included filter in the machine, you will never have to descale the machine - ever. All you would have to do is fill the water tank (as you would with Nespresso), and empty the used beans container.

https://juraproducts.uk/office-coffee

We have this one Ian. For a nice quick cup of coffee it's hard to beat at the price.

Buy Nespresso Pixie Automatic Coffee Machine by KRUPS | John Lewis

Decision made bought the one in the above link as was on offer today in Debenhams for £79.99.

Thanks for all the input but bean to cup too much of a faff for the limited amount of time I am in the office and already have an aeropress but again too much messing just want press and go decent coffee

Thanks to all its amazing so many of us are on the same wavelength

Last edited:
Ian, glad you're sorted.

For others looking for an integrated milk frothier/warmer I can recommend the Delonghi. We have one and it's great.

Thanks

Would have gone for one of these but would have been a bit of a waste as no one takes milk. Good value though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom