Best power gains CLK 230k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zig89

Car
Mercedes Clk 230 Sport Kompressor
:dk:What is the way to increase BHP on the 230 kompressor engines..?/

I'm no expert but I would imagine the following:
1) changing fueling via re chipping the ECU +cams
2) improving exhaust flow

But - this might cost much more and be less reliable than getting a 320 or 350 CLK:dk:

Best power gains are from a crank/supercharger pulley coupled with some airflow/exhaust mods and software tuning.

The pulley kit should increase the power output by 30-40bhp. Depending on which pulley kit you get a change of fuel regulator, injectors and spark plugs may be required.

Set aside a grand for the parts and work and you might get a tiny bit of change left over.

I'd be reading the most interesting thread on here about M271 engines... I think a lot is relevant.

I think the upshot is get a car with more horsepowers :doh:

I would love to get a 320 or a 250 but only just bein 21 insurance will be a killa.

wheres a good site to get parts like the Crank pulleys etc?
Ive had a quote to get a ECU chip for £235 n they claim that will add n extra 12 bhp is that really worth it?

Baron is spot on, don't waste your money trying to screw performance out of a 230k engine makes more sense to by a CLK 430 or 55. My 230k is modded as you know with the Brabus K1S pack which includes pulley change, larger intercooler, and Brabus exhaust. It's definitely quicker than a standard car but for the Brabus pack its something like £3.5k so I'm glad it was on my car when I bought it. Start talking about fuel regulators and injectors and you can add another grand to the bill.

A lot of people talk about 30 - 40 bhp gains, In reality you'll be looking at 15 - 20 bhp although the car does feel quicker and is more responsive lower down the rev range so driveability is definitely improved.

In the pound for points horsepower stakes moding a 230k really does not make financial sense.

Just remap it, and then see what you think. Most remap places give you 7 days money back no quibble so if you think it wasnt worth the £245 just have it removed.....Not worth doing much more though as cheaper to just buy one thats more powerful.....Personally i would map it and leave it at that.....

Removed by administrator - no advertising of companies please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, cos I am stupid,

I am considering the Kleemann pulley kit. This comes with their K-Box which effectively amounts to hardware + remap.

I would not advocate a remap on a stock M27x engine without hardware changes as it would give a relatively unnoticeable change.

The remap won't overcome the roadblock that is the supercharger and how much air it pumps....

I think i will just stick with gettin a performance air filter and exhaust system rather than wastin £££ mods with only a gain of between 15 - 20 bhp and leaving it has that really..
Time to start savin i think for somet bigger :)

I think i will just stick with gettin a performance air filter and exhaust system rather than wastin £££ mods with only a gain of between 15 - 20 bhp and leaving it has that really..
Time to start savin i think for somet bigger :)
Do a search about the airfilter as you might have a problem with the maf

i was think ov gettin like a panel 1 that i can just slot in, i wanna try and keep the engine bay looking as standard as poss..

A free-er flowing panel won't get used - honest.

The supercharger already forces as much as the ECU will let it and the exhaust is tuned to expel.

wow ok. waste of money i guess then...

whats sort of mods you got done on urs Baron?

I would love to get a 320 or a 250 but only just bein 21 insurance will be a killa.

Insurance on a modified 230 may be more than for a stock 320.

Assuming you declare the mods. of course ...

wow ok. waste of money i guess then...

whats sort of mods you got done on urs Baron?
Is not a waste of money if your car is in good condition.Is gona cost to get a clean rustfree clk 430,and harder to find a 55 for the right money of course.At least you are lucky as you can still get some but not much for a w124 owner out there:)

Last edited:
I used to have a W202 C230K with ~225bhp to the crank. I haven't got a pulley on my car (that i know of), but i've done the following:

Relocate airflow meter to the throttle body - £50

Full straight through sports exhaust with C36 AMG backbox - £500, £120 for the box, £380 for the work.

Chipped & dyno'd - £240

Also had some Brabus 18's on there, but if anything they probably slowed the car down. I might have had a 'good' car to start with, since it was performing quite strongly before modifying it, but i never got a bhp reading on it initially which is a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom