Best premium CLA size car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

I had the use of a new CLA for a couple of weeks, really looked nice from the outside, inside wasn't too bad but some bits did feel a bit cheap and ride quality was pretty harsh, also road noise was quite intrusive which makes long journeys more tiring, this got me thinking, if you wanted the most refined smallish car (CLA/2 series coupe size), what would you look at?

As some of you know I'm looking to buy a W212 mainly for the refinement and comfort, there's only ever me in the car and I don't need to carry much so does feel a bit of a waste however there doesn't seem to be anything smaller that can match the premium feeling of the cabin along with reduced road noise at high speeds.

If the W205 C class was a couple of years older then I think that would be the answer, unfortunately it's too new so it's outside of the £14k budget and don't like the look of the W204.

I know it's not CLA sized but if you're looking at a W212 I'd definitely be looking at the Jaguar XF if I was you.

I owned the twin-turbo V6 diesel and it was a brilliant car, seriously, only thing I could knock it on was the touch screen screen being slightly laggy but other than that it was near perfect; quick off the mark and through the gears, quiet and refined at quick motorway speeds, interior feels like you're in a premium car, the Bowers & Wilkins sound system was phenomenal, and even though mine was the Portfolio with 20" wheels it soaked up potholes with ease.

The E class coupe has a lot of the premium feel of it's bigger brother the 212 and looks really cool (IMO). As it's only you most of the time, a coupe would be ideal.. :)

2010-e-class-coupe.jpg

Hi All

I had the use of a new CLA for a couple of weeks, really looked nice from the outside, inside wasn't too bad but some bits did feel a bit cheap and ride quality was pretty harsh, also road noise was quite intrusive which makes long journeys more tiring, this got me thinking, if you wanted the most refined smallish car (CLA/2 series coupe size), what would you look at?

As some of you know I'm looking to buy a W212 mainly for the refinement and comfort, there's only ever me in the car and I don't need to carry much so does feel a bit of a waste however there doesn't seem to be anything smaller that can match the premium feeling of the cabin along with reduced road noise at high speeds.

If the W205 C class was a couple of years older then I think that would be the answer, unfortunately it's too new so it's outside of the £14k budget and don't like the look of the W204.

Mercedes 190E - the original and best of the series .

The E class coupe has a lot of the premium feel of it's bigger brother the 212 and looks really cool (IMO). As it's only you most of the time, a coupe would be ideal.. :)

2010-e-class-coupe.jpg
Ah interesting, I heard it was based on the C so assumed the quality of the E would be better as its a step up, size wise, in pictures anyway it looked similar to the E too but i'll look at it again.

The XF, I did some research on these forums and there were a few comments on "veneer deep" quality, when I test drove the car I did agree with that comment, when you press some bits of the interior it did not feel as solid as the MB's, I did prefer the ride however of the XF, rode over bumps very well, also not sure if they are as reliable as the W212's.

The 190, I need something a bit more modern, 5 years or less :)

Just got thinking about the size yesterday as was in a colleagues 5 series, took us 20mins to get out of a road as someone had parked on double yellows and had very little space to turn car around, was a dead end street, we were both discussing wouldn't it be easier if there was a smaller luxury car comparable to E class/5 Series for those who do not need the space.

Last edited:
I've been in a W212 for 6 y now. I don't think the laws of physics will let a smaller car have the same feel. It's big, bulky, refined and a uber mile eater. The E makes the perfect compromise giving large size in a car that can be parked almost anywhere (S class gets tricky at times).

My only tip is to get a E350 diesel or petrol.

2010-e-class-coupe.jpg

From my experience you are absolutely correct. Almost 4 years in and mine has no squeaks and has returned almost 50mpg accurately calculated. One of the cars that I have not wanted to trade in after 3 years. And its a looker. Very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom