Best product for cleaning caked on dirt on alloy wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi,

The dirt has been stuck on for I'm not sure how long, and I want to get it off.

I last tried Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, and even that didn't rid everything.

What's a good product that will remove caked on dirt without damaging the wheels? Also that minimising elbow work!

Thanks,
R

I've fount autoglyms ally wheel cleaner to make cleaning wheels surprisingly easy without thaving the harshness of Wonderwheels or similar.

Spray on, 'agitate' :rolleyes: and rinse off.

A pressure washer or a steam pressure cleaner should work without any damage to the wheels.

If it is stubborn baked on brake dust, the only one that ever worked for me was Wonder Wheels. A one off deep clean is fine, but not recommended for the weekly wash as it is quite acidic.

Russ

The products you can use will depend on the wheel finish. If polished, polished lips, or diamond cut then you can't use anything acidic.

Try the AG 'custom wheel cleaner' or a dilute All Purpose Cleaner is they are specalised finishes. If standard painted finish then you can try AG 'clean wheels(acidic)'. I only usually suggest Autoglym to members as it is the most readily available products on the shelf so easy to get hold of.

After cleaning use a AG Tar and Glue remover to remove any tar from the wheels.

If pitted with stubborn black spots then try a product called IronX

Failing that use a clay bar on the pitting, but may take a long time to remove it all.

They are many other products out there tough.

I always use bilberry safe wheel cleaner found this stuf to be the best can be diluted aswell which is a bonus

i have also used wonder wheels on a new set of alloys some years ago after about 6 months the laquer started peeling i took wheels back and was told it was the wonder whees causing it

I've used bilberry on all the vans / cars I've owned for the past 2-3 years. I swear by it.

I use bilberry for regular cleaning and it does the job well.

Additionally I use Wolf De Ironizer Decon Gel (previously called Brake Duster) - very good at removing iron deposits from brake pads (and visually very effective too)

Finally Tardis tar remover on an infrequent basis ( not surprisingly to take off any tar spots!).

Not keen on going down the acidic cleaners route and I think you may eventually damage any lacquer on your wheels.

For majority of cleaning products I use Polished Bliss as they offer free delivery.

Good luck - and don't get bitten by the cleaning bug (it can end up expensive! - but the results are worth it!)

Once you've gotten them up to scratch, just give them a wipe over with a damp cloth on a weekly basis and that should keep em' tip top.

I've used Wonder Wheels for years on the Vito and the wife's Audi - no problems at all. But I do always hose them down very thoroughly afterwards.

For wheel cleaning you can't go wrong with an autoglym wheel brush. "Agitates" perfectly and gets into the AMG logo etc without any problems. Bristles are rounded so can't scratch.

Any aluminium is attacked by Caustic soda (Sodium hydroxide) a common fat cleaning/removing agent in Kitchen cleaners. Also used in Lorry wash or Traffic Film Removers T.F.R. So if you use anything this agressive wash it off after a minute or it will eat and dull your alloy where it is exposed without paint or laquer.
Cleaning is always three elements:
Temperature
Chemical
Effort
So you just combine these to get the effect you want with the least effort or damage.
Don

Bilberry wheel cleaner is very good and a safe cleaner for all wheel types, you can dilute it stronger for more tougher contamination.

Iron X is what you need, really impressive, expensive but does the job, not tried wolfs brake duster but have heard that its not really up to the task....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom