Best product to remove scratches by hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Guys, what would you recommend for removing medium scratches and swirl marks by hand on a medium blue car? Looking at Megs Swirl X, Scratch X and Ultimate compound. Foam or Microfibre pad? TIA

If the car is dark blue. Go for this. Poorboys Black Hole!!
poorboys polish | eBay
And then apply a wax over it.
If its light blue - pass.

Edit.

No I'm not even going there with Y Fronts and Skid Marks already being mentioned.

If the car is dark blue. Go for this. Poorboys Black Hole!!
poorboys polish | eBay
And then apply a wax over it.
If its light blue - pass.

Edit.

No I'm not even going there with Y Fronts and Skid Marks already being mentioned.

Thanks for the reply but I need something abrasive to remove the scratches and swirls, not fill them

T-cut and an old pair of y-fronts?

old pair of y-fronts on a mercedes?(surely you mean new pair:D)

Got some G3. Fairly good but not brilliant. Hard work-very sore arms and shoulders :D

I am no detailer really but I do a mean valet.....

I like Megs Scratch X2.0. It is pretty good at taking the edge of scratches but like all of these things....especially Y-fronts, it can leave swirls. So I give it a few goes with Scratch X and then a load more goes with autoglym Super Resin Polish, then my favourite wax is Zymol.

I've had plenty of success with T-Cut in the past, but there's a fair amount of amonia in the product so I'd be cautious about using it on a water based paint finish.

Me too, but T-cut always makes me nervous about it being a bit harsh. Proven track record though as it's been around for ever and is still for sale...........

Yeah, got some G3 yesterday from Halfrauds. Not bad, not brilliant, but not bad-Achey arms/shoulders today :D

Is it a Merc you're trying to sort out? If so it will be very hard going by hand and you could do more harm than good. Things like scratch x are very abrasive and there is potential to introduce other defects into the paint which show up badly in sunlight, especially on dark cars.

Why not get yourself a DA polisher? They are safe to use and more than upto correcting swirls on hard paints given time and the right kit. It would cost you maybe £130 to get set up but you could always sell the stuff after you've done.

What kind of car is it and how old is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom