Best Real world MB for longlastability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

F0ul_Oli

Car
C220 W202 1997 Diesel
I found this forum and thought it would be polite to join! :)

I'm on my 3rd MB and am starting to think about my next, however, I'm worried about quality issues.

I am currently running a W202 C230 and hope to put some serious mileage on it - at least 200K, but don't know if the new models from the past few years (W203 etc) are any more than badge engineering?

Would I be better off looking at another model - bigger, but still cost effective to run?

Look forward to find out what people think.

F0ul Oli

Reactions: PJH
Foul Oli, Hello and welcome!
I am using my 1000 post to greet you and offer my opinion.
Over the last couple of years it has looked as if the build quality has slipped some what, BUT on the whole (and bearing in mind the constraints of the parent company) MB's are still a real quality car. However the dealers still need a lot of work on the whole.
The bodywork looks to have been the biggest cost cut with poor pannel fit and rust issues being high on the list.
My 2p as to what I would go for in the modern range would have to fall to the E320 oil burner. VERY quick, refined and able to clock VERY serious milage.
I am sure I can think of at least one memeber on here who will agree on the choice of car eh Brian.
Having been to a few GTG's and see/driven a few nice cars over the years a certain GTG run with an E320 holding on to the shirt tails of an Astin Martin will be a memory for quite some time!, oh and if memory serves I think 40+mpg was even maintained during the run!

Last edited:
Hi there F0ul_Oli,

I won't comment on the flaws with the quality issues with the brand..,

..but welcome to the forum. For anything related to the 3 pointed star, and beyond you're definately in the right place. :)

Best Mercedes produced for lonlastability has to be the W124 and W126s.

If you can live with the size/looks of the W140 then its capable of high high miles.

I do fancy an S class, but when people on here talk about high miles... what do you mean?
I hear rumours of silly miles, 1/2 million miles etc, but is this normal?

If I was to buy a S320 - with regular servicing, could I retire on the same car ..(Im in my 30's!)?

Maybe a little flippant but my point is that I have done the rough calculations that say if you keep a good car like this for a huge number of years - like they do on the continent - it works out to be a very cheap investment.
Or is this how it used to be - and no longer the case?
:)

F0ul_Oli said:
I do fancy an S class, but when people on here talk about high miles... what do you mean?
I hear rumours of silly miles, 1/2 million miles etc, but is this normal?

If I was to buy a S320 - with regular servicing, could I retire on the same car ..(Im in my 30's!)?

Maybe a little flippant but my point is that I have done the rough calculations that say if you keep a good car like this for a huge number of years - like they do on the continent - it works out to be a very cheap investment.
Or is this how it used to be - and no longer the case?
:)

Servicing is the key to high mileages, and they are not rumours.
Have a word with DrNick, he bought an E300 TD that now has about 445000 miles on it and it's still going strong.
Ian Walkers 260E has about 215000 on it and is mechanically sound. Plenty of owners on here have cars with 150000 miles plus on them.

I think the record is a greek taxi driver who has a 240D with more than 2.8 million miles on it.

Buy a well looked after W140 Saloon or Coupe, have it serviced properly and it could very well last longer than your house.

Hi F0ul_Oli, welcome to the board. I have an R reg E300 TD estate and have just passed 100k miles. I have a service and MOT once a year, regularly check the oil and water levels, as we should all do, and so far, my only problem was just after I had bought the car, the exhaust fell off, the rear bracket on the exhaust failed and gravity took over, twisted the pipe, split the front resulting in a complete new system :eek: Other than that no problems whatsoever so far. Oil burners don't rev that high and unless you hold the gear manually, it is difficult to get it into the red band.

Any six cylinder W124 be it Petrol or diesel......the petrol will run for 300,000 miles without breaking sweat if serviced correctly and the diesels will run for 500,000+ again without breaking sweat.

Many owners on the US forums running W124's have built up some huge mileages.

W126's are also a good bet, but more expensive to run if you want a V8.

Great cars that were built at the pinnacle of MB quality, hence the reason why good W124's especially, still make strong money.

Although the W124 does seem to be a good car, it does look a litte old fashioned - that might just be me being a little fazed by shiney new thing syndrome, but that's why I was asking about the newer models. I'm interested more in the model range around 1999 - 2002. Is the W203 not seen as being as capable of high mileage, or am I reading the wrong things into the articles regarding quality?

My last car was a '94 C180 Classic with a manual box. I got 185,000 out of that one with no problems but got rid of it because it had started to look shabby, with various rust spots and the like.

My current C230 should do me for a while but I do about 30 -35K miles a year, so I'll see 100K next sept! That's why I'm already thinking about the next one!

F0ul_Oli said:
Although the W124 does seem to be a good car, it does look a litte old fashioned!

[Peter Kay Voice] How DARE you! [/Peter Kay Voice]

F0ul_Oli said:
I agree the W124 is an excellent car, and I also love the classic lines

That's better ;)

PJ

In my opinion for what its worth, W124 are the ONLY real Mercs. But there again I am Totally biased :D

My 280e had a new engine at 150,000 miles, despite having all the 'stamps'. :(

mileage isnt really the question. I'm sure mine would go on and on if i keep looking after it as i do. but i get bored too quickly of the same car, thus ever adding more than 40k is out of the question. :D new car soon then!!!

MBenzNL

1993 C250D with 600+k kilometer = 360+K Miles

Now thats pretty reliable I would say

Cant think for one minute why you would consider buying a newer car for over twenty grand that has rust problems ...just read the posts on here...if i were you i would go for a new BMW / Audi / VW .... Skoda ! ... or keep the one you have got..far better quality The older mercs were much better....However i am sure i will get a roastin from fellow members for this comment...do your research and make your own mind up.. ;)

You wont hear any complaints from me. If I had my time again I would have bought another brand.

I agree with what your saying however early BMW's rust too.This 730I SE I sold has the usual BMW corrosion around the jacking points.The jacking points and sill area in general are much better designed on my 1997 W202.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4577585861

adam

petef said:
Cant think for one minute why you would consider buying a newer car for over twenty grand that has rust problems ...just read the posts on here...if i were you i would go for a new BMW / Audi / VW .... Skoda ! ... or keep the one you have got..far better quality The older mercs were much better....However i am sure i will get a roastin from fellow members for this comment...do your research and make your own mind up.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom